The Disability Price Tag 2019 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Disability Price Tag 2019

Options
Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

Life costs more for disabled people and their families. Spending more on essential goods and services like; heating, insurance, equipment and therapies. These extra costs mean disabled people have less money in their pocket than non-disabled people, or simply go without.

Therefore, disabled people are likely to have a lower standard of living, even when they earn the same. We’re calling for the financial inequality disabled people and their families face to end once and for all.

woman in glasses looking worried going through paperwork

Our research shows that:

• On average a family with a disabled child faces an extra cost of £581 per month. For 1 in 5 families these costs equal over £1000 per month.
  • On average a disabled adult faces an extra cost of £583 per month. This means that disabled people’s money doesn’t go as far. £100 for a non-disabled person is equivalent to just £68 for a disabled person.

Campaigning to tackle the financial penalty of disability

We’re calling on Government to tackle the extra costs faced by disabled people and their families. We need action in four areas:

Universal Credit (UC)

• Use the trial of ‘managed migration’ to ensure disabled people don’t lose access to financial support as they move to UC
  • Work with disabled people and disability organisations to develop new components within UC to offset loss of support
  • Work with families and disability organisations to ensure disabled children receive support to help meet extra costs.

Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

• Reform the PIP assessment to accurately capture extra costs faced by disabled people.

Warm Home Discount

• Reform core eligibility criteria so that support can be more effectively targeted at disabled people.

Early Intervention and Family Resilience fund

• Set up an Early Intervention and Family Resilience Fund. Investing in emotional support for the whole family at the point of diagnosis.

Take a look at the Disability Price Tag report here and let us know about your experiences.
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sam_Scope Thanks for giving the opportunity to read the reports.

All informative.

My concern as ever is you have laid the foundations and guidelines to the Government what should be taking place.

Yet are they going to take notice.

Since being on my own a long time now always know the costs of being disabled are significant in my health issues.

Energy costs being one have a constant battle with the companies every year.  One of them is the Warm Front Grant do get this but did you know.

Only come off the bill around now March time. I believe could be April. I asked no one is listening ever why not now. When it is cold.  In Winter.

Answer is that is your Winter bill rules laid down by the Government.  Whole point of grant I holler is to deduct the costs now when it is cold.

From November to January. Real reason is of course the costs go up and we the consumer struggle to pay.  

Then get Email urgent ones from the Utilities saying we have to put up the costs . Have this grant why not let me use that . Silence .

Had last year this scenario , got ill due to cold and ill due to the spiralling costs new tariff.

Want to leave company because of this in debt to them over £150 plus ongoing.  If I leave have to pay that plus fees. If they had done as I had said used the grant when I needed it would not be in debt.

WHICH magazine have been helpful here pointing out the same problem. Had to sign with this company again new tariff all confusing and complex.

Thank you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • deejay2038
    deejay2038 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    Yes! I have spent around 10,000 on disability equipment in the last decade.  I had money from the sale of my homem and I never asked them for a penny towards it. But every other week it seems I have to buy something that I would not have to buy but for my disability  Right now I need a dynamic air cushion for my electric wheelchair that is rechargeable  It's  250 pound price tag Social care do not provide things like that
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is why we NEED our PIP payments without fighting to justify our disability! God knows what I`ve spent in the last 20 years. I might just reckon up and get back to  you!
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    done a quick sum......

over 20 years I have spent around

£20k on wheelchairs, scooters, car adaptations, plus £15k on suitable cars
    £15k on house adaptations
    Now I am paying £40 a week towards my care.

If I hadn't become disabled,  we would have no mortgage, no debt and a have a tidy nest egg in the bank.

Instead in our retirement we have still got a mortgage, debt and no savings. We have no holidays together and I have respite in a nursing home to look forward to! Nice!

So yeh, disability is chuffin` expensive!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.