Potential sanction — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Potential sanction

Options
samd102
samd102 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi All. I'm currently on UC and suffer from anxiety and depression, although I am currently in the highest capability assessment. I'm due for a doctor's appointment tomorrow to review my current capability for work as my condition has got worse in the last few weeks leading to me being physically sick on Friday. This was also when I had been offered a trial work day but I contacted the employer first thing asking if we could rearrange for the following Monday (a date I had also been offered to attend this trial). They then pulled my job offer and said goodbye meaning not only have I now lost a paid job but I now face a sanction. How likely is this due to everything I have described? I will be able to provide a sick note and evidence of my contact with said employer.....I cannot tell you how this now affecting me, I can't sleep or stop worrying about being sanctioned and possibly possibly being in rent arrears because of it all. It's exacerbated my anxiety so much and I'm wondering if anybody can offer any advice or reassurance?

Sorry for such a long post too.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "highest capability assessment" have you been awarded either limited capability for work (LCW) or limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • samd102
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Neither, what I mean is that whatever it's called now, work capability or something else, I have to commit to the maximum requirements of looking for work. i.e. 35 hours a week etc. Will this change once I have a fit note? How likely is a sanction in both cases?

I have, basically just asked the employer to rearrange my trial day for the following Monday as I was physically being sick and too unwell to attend on the previous Friday. I think this is reasonable but how likely is it the DWP will see the same?

Thanks again.
  • samd102
    Options
    I am sorry, I thought this was a general benefits advice site. My mistake, your comment makes sense now! No offense intended to anybody, my fault for not checking things out properly!

Kind regards 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are here for advice and i'm unsure why you though differently. I was asking the questions because your question wasn't clear and without the correct information it's impossible to give advice.

As you're not in one of the groups then you haven't been assessed as having limited capability for work and a fit note doesn't automatically entitle you to this. Whether you'll need to look for work and what your commitments are will depend on your work coach. Some will turn them off or reduce them but some won't. If you have problems with your work coach then you'll be able to request a different one.

Whether you'll be sanctioned or not, i'm afraid i don't know sorry.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • samd102
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks again for the info. I said the above as I noticed Scope was disability focused so wanted to apologise for posting somewhere that some people might not think is relevant to myself.

Thanks especially for the "work coach" advice, that's really useful to know and I already don't like mine particularly!

This whole system is so punitive and potentially damaging to society it's unreal! The Ex-Eton school boys no doubt are delighted with themselves. It's a class war alright, make no mistake about that! Or war on the poor. Shocking. Absolutely shocking. 

Good luck people!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.