Carers allowance entitlement without a fixed address — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance entitlement without a fixed address

Options
jedimafia
jedimafia Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Is one entitled to claim carers allowance when the person does not currently have their own accommodation and moves between 2 different houses while waiting for the right accommodation to become available?

He would stay permanently at his main address but his friend their also has a carer and claims PIP and she is worried that it'll affect her benefits if he is there all the time.  I dont think this is true as he does have his own room etc and only helps with bills (so no financial gain), is that above board too? I am aware in these circumstances the carers allowance would be awarded, but unsure about the former...

thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

How often does he stay at the address? Does the person he wants to claim carers allowance for have anyone else living with them? If they don't then they maybe claiming severe disability premium in with another benefit.

You say the person also has a carer does this person claim carers allowance for looking after them?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jedimafia
    Options
    He is on universal credit so no SDP.  The person he lives with most the time technically doesn't have a carer but just SDP and PIP.  I'm assuming if he lived there more than 3 days a week she'd not be entitled to her SDP so here is the problem oh actually she would because they both have pip so the exception rule applies

As the person i want to claim carers allowance for is technically homeless being he is between 2 addresses.  Are we entitled to claim carers allowance or must he live alone/with someone else on pip.  IF being homeless excludes us.. Will it affect her benefits? In my mind it shouldnt as he has his own room and only pays for his share of bills.

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ah sorry i thought the homeless person wanted to claim carers allowance for you.

As you want to claim carers allowance for the person that's homeless then i'm really unsure if that's possible. It would be rather difficult to give care to someone that's homeless.

As you're both claiming PIP then it maybe possible for the person to live with you permanently but they may ask questions as regards to you both being a couple because this has can happen. It won't affect any housing benefit you claim but it's very complicated.

I honestly think that face to face advice is definitely needed here from an advice agency near you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jedimafia
    Options

As you want to claim carers allowance for the person that's homeless then i'm really unsure if that's possible. It would be rather difficult to give care to someone that's homeless.

But there are different definitions of homeless.  Living  between 2 different houses doesn't make it difficult, its hardly even "homeles" lol

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jedimafia, it can be difficult to advise if it is not a 'normal' situation.

You might be worth calling the Scope helpline on: 0808 800 3333 (Open 9am to 5pm weekdays).

Or you can find some local advice from AdviceLocal.

Please do keep us updated and I hope you are able to sort this soon! :)

If there is anything else I can do to help then please do let us know.
    Scope

• poppy123456
    Options
    I'm afraid this is not a situation i've ever come across before and despite my extensive benefit knowledge i'm unable to answer your question, even though i've also searched the internet.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for your input here @poppy123456! It's greatly appreciated. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome @Chloe_Scope :)
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Jedimafia,
    In your original message you said that the person you want to claim CA for is already on benefits.
    What address did they use to make their claims?
    Would it be possible to give that address when you make a claim?
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • jedimafia
    Options
    Nah i'm afraid that won't be possible no thanks everyone 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.