An adults winter coat with velcro? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

An adults winter coat with velcro?

chriscap
chriscap Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi everyone sorry if I'm posting in wrong place but am new to this. I am a carer for my adult brother in law who has learning difficulties. The problem I have is he cant do the zips or buttons on coats so I have tried to search online for a mens winter coat (jacket) with velcro fastening (hook and eye) unfortunately without any success does anyone know where I could get one
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chriscap and a very warm welcome to the community! 

It can imagine this not something that is easy to find, although it should be. I hope other members will be able to help you with this and please do let us know if there is anything else we can help with. :)
    Scope

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @chriscap and welcome to the community.

Even when they are advertised as velcro fastening this seems to be in addition to the usual poppers/buttons/zip.

I don't know where you can buy one, but can suggest how you may be able to get one. Do you have a dry cleaners that do repairs, local tailor or seamstress. You will probably need to do a search. If you speak to them first and explain what you need the chances are they would be prepared to replace the poppers/buttons/zip with velcro fastening. They should also be able to give you some advice on what to look for when buying the coat for the best results. Sorry no idea what the additional cost would be.

Sorry not the answer you were looking for, but may be an option.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Hello!
    Have you looked up disabled clothing companies online? You can also purchase a coat, then ask a tailor to adapt it. Do you live near a dry cleaners or not? If so I would get in contact with them and ask. What is the worst that could occur?
    You can find more information here https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/adaptive-clothing.php on adapted clothing. Best wishes! I hope you find what you are looking for. 
  • Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    hi, i have learning disfficulties, Yes zips atr easy broken or difficult  to use but they beat buttons and hooks, My suggestion is you can't find what you exactly looking for is to wear more layers which you findeasy to use. it Don't matter whats you look like, as long you are warm enough and dry
    https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

• Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Part of my laying of clothing I wear thermal clothing. I don't find buying jackets/coats easy cus of the fastener and my size.

What seam to works for me as a jacket is like a a fleece jacket/top then a rain proof cost/jacket/top which you can easy to remove when not needed.

My other suggestion hi to outfit/camping shops as they are more about keeping warm and dry
    https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Brightness