Managing Money - an app? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Managing Money - an app?

Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for an easy way to manage my money. I'm ideally looking for an app. Does anyone have any ideas?

I currently use a little book but I keep forgetting to work out future payments. I'd like something that takes future bills into account so I know how much for now minus the bills if that makes sense?

Thanks

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Hello! 
    Have you searched the App Store or not? If you type in money management apps you might find something appropriate for you. Or you could always create a Excel Spreadsheet. There are several out there. 
    When selecting a app, make sure to read both the description and feedback carefully first. Consider what you need it for. 
    A list of personal finance apps can be found here  https://www.investopedia.com/personal-finance/personal-finance-apps/

• Jurph
    Thanks @April2018mom

Yes, there's lots of them but they seem very complicated and the majority seem to link to bank accounts. I really don't want to link anything.

Excel isn't too bad but I'd rather have it on my phone and it's above my head.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    In that case what about a notebook or diary? You can buy a diary at any bookshop or online. Or you could always use Microsoft Word to keep track of finances. Try the Notes app as well. Use different categories to track your spending habits and see where you can save money. Set yourself some achievable goals too.
    Best wishes! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Virgin Money have this list of 5 top budgeting apps. Here is the first one, head over to their website to read the full list

Money Dashboard

Free, iOS & Android

The king of budgeting apps, Money Dashboard gives you a fantastic overview of your finances. Once you’ve hooked it up to all your accounts, it puts all the info in one place so you can see what’s coming in and going out. You can categorise spending and view your habits over six months through nifty charts and graphics to get a really clear idea of exactly how many hundreds of pounds you’d save each year if you could only be bothered to wake up 20 minutes earlier and make a packed lunch each morning. A slight downside is that this read-only tool doesn’t allow you to move money around, but it’s one of the easiest and most 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Jurph
    In that case what about a notebook or diary? You can buy a diary at any bookshop or online. Or you could always use Microsoft Word to keep track of finances. Try the Notes app as well. Use different categories to track your spending habits and see where you can save money. Set yourself some achievable goals too.
    Best wishes! 
    I already use one.

I'd really like something for my phone.
  • Jurph
    Thanks @Sam_Scope

A lot of them, like the one you posted seem to link to bank accounts. I'm not too sure about doing that. Some even link accounts by asking for login details! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    So are you looking for something that is more like an online notebook for you to add to @Jurph ?
    Scope
  • Jurph
    Sort of @Sam_Scope

I'd like something that I can start with a figure and add what I spend as I go. One that includes future bills.

So if I have £100 in my account but I have £50 in direct debits and the end of the week, I'd like something that shows I have £50 to spend. And I can then put in that I spent £10 of that today.

I do this in a little book at the moment but I keep forgetting to take off future payments like direct debits. So I think I have £100 instead of £50. I'd like something that calculates it for me so I can see how much money I have now.

I hope that makes sense? I don't think I'm explaining it well.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Are you iPhone or Android phone @Jurph ? And yes, you are making sense! :)
    Scope
  • Jurph
  • Sam_Alumni
    edited August 2019
    What about this one? Spending Tracker app 

It looks quite simple and has a lot of good reviews.

Jason
    4 August 2019
    Great App for those that don't trust the "Bigger" apps that want you to hand over your credentials for all your subscribed services. Couple of Things I'd like to see: 1) Swipe left/right to go to the previous/next month. 2) Ability to select an expenses category while on the Spending tab to be shown all expenses from that category for that month. 3) A timeline of sorts, where you can see your point in the month, payments already gone, and upcoming payments.

Albert
    22 August 2019
    Simple yet very flexible app to manage your finance. I set myself a weekly budget to control my spending. Spending Tracker allows me to input as much or as little information as I require. It can display my spending in monthly or weekly format. For me, it's not important what I spend on so my categories are very generic and broad. I just need to know if I'm being my weekly limit or not. So yeah, I highly recommend this app.

Scope
  • Jurph
    Thanks @Sam_Scope

That looks pretty good! I'll give it a go and see how I get on. Thanks for your help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    No problem at all, if it's not right, let me know and Ill go back to the drawing board!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.