Fibromyalgia and blue badge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia and blue badge

KarenHayden
KarenHayden Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi, I have fibromyalgia and lupus. This has many affects on my mobility. I use a crutch or stick when I’m outside ( generally inside I rely on furniture and walls lol). I use the crutch due to pain in left knee and hip. But it also helps me feel supported when I’m out. I used to love going for long treks but fibromyalgia means I frequently don’t have the energy. Simply weekly shop in a supermarket can take over an hour and a half, by the time it’s in the car I’m shattered, then when I get home I often need a half hour rest before I can unload my shopping and put it away! (Not good for the frozen/ chilled items) .
i feel a blue badge would be warranted as it would reduce how far I’d need to park and more space unloading the shopping trolley. This would also allow longer  shopping time if car park states limited time for free parking. I already have a parking time fine to fight!
how would I go about applying successfully for a blue badge. I have been told they are beginning to recognise fibromyalgia more, recently.
Advice plz ?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, to get a blue badge you either qualify by having a PIP mobility award or by passing your local issuing councils acessment which is done by a Occupation Therapist. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KarenHayden, you are right that invisible conditions are starting to be recognised.

Here is the link to apply: https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Without automatically qualifying for the Blue badge it will depend on the criteria of your local council. A diagnosis of fibromyalgia won't get you a blue badge, it will depend on how far you can walk. You will need evidence to support a claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    If you have the supporting letter of a doctor you can sometimes get a blue badge. @KarenHayden. I got a blue badge before my PIP was raised to higher rate and it does make a difference but i mainly got it because I was a single parent sufferring with extreme exhaustion as one had hyper-active autism and when he was young it was killing me to look after him. I now have a wheelchair full-time but will be applying for him to have his own blue badge so we can use supplementary carers. 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hi there are people on here who Bragg they have a blue badge and they are NOT in pain when trying to walk.
    Ring this number. 0343 100 100 about blue badge.
    Ring this number 0300 999 3333 about fibromyalgia .
    Good luck 
  • poppy123456
    Misscleo said:
    Hi there are people on here who Bragg they have a blue badge and they are NOT in pain when trying to walk.
    Ring this number. 0343 100 100 about blue badge.
    Ring this number 0300 999 3333 about fibromyalgia .
    Good luck 
    Blue badges are also given to those that don't have physical conditions. You don't need to be in pain to receive one.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    If your not in pain when walking. What help is a blue badge to you.?
    All your doing is blocking a car space that a disabled person could be using.
    You don't need to be near a shop etc COS YOUR NOT IN PAIN WHEN WALKING.
    leave the disabled spaces for people who ARE in pain when walking cos they NEED them and you dont
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Misscleo said:
    leave the disabled spaces for people who ARE in pain when walking cos they NEED them and you dont

A blind person for example. They're not in pain when walking. Should they be forced to walk across 5 busy lanes of cars?

Going on your reasoning, someone in a wheelchair shouldn't have a blue badge because they're not in pain when they walk.

• poppy123456
    Misscleo said:
    I'm sorry but judging others on a disability that can't be seen really isn't nice and you really shouldn't judge other people. please remember that not all disabilities are visible.

The new blue badge rules that coming out tomorrow for those living in England mean  that some people who have Autism will now automatically qualify and they obviously don't have pain when walking. These people very often have no road sense and could be a danger to theirself and others around them.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Hi @KarenHayden, here's the article I think you were referring to. :)

Thousands more people to be eligible for disabled Blue Badges from Friday

People may be eligible for a blue badge for a range of reasons. If they have a disability where being closer to shops or a toilet would be beneficial then a blue badge could be issued. This does depend on the specific council, but this is a positive change for people with invisible conditions.
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Misscleo
    I have a blue badge, I have an ileostomy bag and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I use my blue badge for if my bag is leaking or if I am desperate to get to a toilet. It means I can park next to the doors and get straight to a loo so I don't soil myself in public. 

There are so many reasons why people have a blue badge :) 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    The criteria for the new blue badge rules for those living in England and have a hidden disability is here. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/people-with-hidden-disabilities-to-benefit-from-blue-badges

Brightness