Work cabability assessment, what to do if I can't attend the assessment! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work cabability assessment, what to do if I can't attend the assessment!

sammclean94
sammclean94 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
edited September 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I posted on these forums in the last 6 months about my work cabability assessment and how i had waiting over 15 weeks for a reply i recieved my answer and was put into the limited  capability for work, i have been told i have to attend my appointment at the job centre tomorrow as they are mandatory but i can barely leave my house due to my anxiety i know that if i dont go i will get money taken from me and struggle to pay my bills, i have wrote in my journal twice now saying to have my meeting changed to over the phone and once was ignored and the second time recieved a reply saying the meeting is mandatory, i am currently waiting on my mandatory reconsideration and i am wondering if there's anything i can do? I have barely left my house since my result as my anxiety is running rampant at the thought of having to do everything the job centre tells me, even my doctor has said i shouldn't have to go to meetings, what are my options if any?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sammclean94, thank you for taking the time to update us. I'm sorry to hear that you have been unable to get answers about an alternative way to do the assessment. Is there anyone who could go with you tomorrow?
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sammclean94   Sorry to hear what you are going through.

Please can I ask are you receiving any help and guidance with your mental health.?

I used a mental health charity and got a support worker to come to meetings in the job centre. A private room and she spoke on my behalf. At the time.

I used this one.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

You can self refer or speak to your GP.  Who can get you an assessment.

I do understand what your going through.  I do know every day is difficult. I have mental health issues my self.

Please can I add that getting some help and advice, guidance with your mental health is always beneficial.  Can help you .

Please can I add also that you could take a friend or any one that knows you along. They can speak on your behalf.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'd advise you to ring UC to speak to your case manager and tell them the issues you have with leaving the house. Attending these appointments for the LCW group is part of the commitments but phone appointments are possible. If your work coach isn't understanding then you can request a different one.

If you don't attend you're right a sanction is possible.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sammclean94
    Thank you for all the help. I will speak to my case manager and see if i can get my interviews moved to over the phone. 
  • sammclean94
    @poppy123456 i have been told it is upto my work coach and she has said the meeting is mandatory, how is it possible someone with 0 medical qualifications can tell me that i have to attend a meeting that will make my mental health worse? I am anxious 24/7 due to this and i am really struggling 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this but they are correct, it is at the discretion of your work coach. As you have had your work capability assessment decision and you were given LCW and not LCWRA then you've been placed into the work preparation group. This means that although they realise you have a Limited capability for work you do need to prepare for work sometime in the future and this means attending appoints for work focused interviews.

You can request a different work coach but any appointments in the meantime you will have to attend. Do you have someone that can go with you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope you can get it moved to a more suitable time @sammclean94!
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sammclean94   Sorry to hear this. I thought they would be more understanding.  

I did add the links I sent to you. Please can I ask have spoken to any one or looked at what is available in your area.

Just a thought.

I know that if you find some support, guidance and some help with your mental health would give you a lot of strength and courage to deal with issues like this.

I know may be it is thinking the first steps and what to expect.

I do understand that but a lot of the mental health charities use coping methods and strategies to deal with situations like this.

Never easy but they do help.

I also think they can help you adjust and cope give you some confidence and self esteem.

Will if you do contact them offer support in these situations,being a voice.

I have this mental illness a long time and since use what they have taught me to cope and deal with my issues.

Mainly anxiety and depression.

If I can help ready to listen be supportive please get in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • sammclean94
    Thank you @thespiceman @poppy123456 and @Chloe_Scope i have managed to get my appointment moved to a phonecall. Thank you your advice and i will take a look at the links you have all posted! Thank you :)
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @sammclean94
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's great news @sammclean94! Thanks for letting us know. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.