Useful apps for android phones — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Useful apps for android phones

M_Anthony
M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
edited August 2019 in Coffee lounge

Useful Android Apps

Hi. I wanted to share some good Android apps I use, I hope these will be useful. They can all be downloaded from the Google Play Store.

Samsung Internet Browser

Despite the name, this web browser works on all android devices. Based on Google’s Chrome browser, it has three advantages:

It allows you to install Ad-blockers (if you press the button right icon there is an Ad blockers option, you can then select from different ones. I recommend Ad-block Plus).

It is easier on your eyes if reading in the dark. You simply select dark mode from button right icon and the white areas of sites turn to black.

It has more general options in the settings menu.

Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint

Offers perfect compatibility with the desktop versions, interfaces are nice considering the screen size restrictions.

Colornote

A Calendar/notepad. You are presented with a notepad when you open it, simply swipe left and you have a calendar. If you enter anything on a day, it will then pop up in your task bar as a reminder when the day arrives.

Navmii GPS World (Navfree)

A great offline sat nav that can be used for car journeys and walking. Once you download the map of the country you want, it doesn’t need to use data/the internet on the phone to function, it simply uses the GPRS inside the phone.

VLC Media Player

Used in a variety of platforms, VLC Media player is a good video player for loads of different video formats. Highly recommended.

Army Knife for Android

Gives you various applications such as a ruler, unit converter, access to your camera’s flashlight to use as a torch if you have one.

English Dictionary – Offline

A good offline dictionary with an option to read out the word.

Night Screen

An app that dims the screen below the normal brightness levels you can use, good for general use in the dark if you find your screen too bright.

T2S: Text to Voice – Read Aloud

A tool to read out any text you enter.

Comodo Mobile Internet Security

While this has paid for features, it does offer antivirus scanning free.

If anyone has any other android apps they recommend, please feel free to tell us!

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is helpful. Thanks! Can you recommend any educational apps for children please? 
  • M_Anthony
    @April2018mom

123 Numbers - Count & Tracing (RV AppStudios)
    Khan Academy Kids
    YouTube kids
    Get Creative from CBeebies
    BBC CBeebies Storytime

Hope these are okay!
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I will be looking those up thanks 
  • April2018mom
    M_Anthony said:
    @April2018mom

123 Numbers - Count & Tracing (RV AppStudios)
    Khan Academy Kids
    YouTube kids
    Get Creative from CBeebies
    BBC CBeebies Storytime

Hope these are okay!
    Thanks! 
  • LubieLoo17
    LubieLoo17 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi @M_Anthony

Have you heard of AccessAble? their App and Website gives you the detailed information covering 1000s of venues across the UK. This tool will give you confidence when you need to work out if a place is going to be accessible to you.

The Access Guides are SO Detailed Access Guides tell you all about a venue's access. They are 100% facts, figures and photographs.

My access needs are as unique and individual as the music I like or the clothes I wear. and I know everyone’s accessibility needs are different, which is why having detailed, accurate information is so important. AccessAble send trained surveyors to check out every single place in person and why the information we collect has all been decided by the user community at AccessAble. so the info is useful to a wide range of people with different impairments

Terms like 'fully accessible' aren't helpful - fully accessible to who? The Guides are broken down into sections and cater for a range of impairments – It has taken away my arrival anxiety when visiting somewhere new and has given me back my dignity as I plan my trip, no more ringing and asking a receptionist to describe, in detail the type of surface in a car park (Pea Shingle is not my fave)

And its all free!

Check it out and see what you think, its available on Google Play!

Lucy  x

Lucy 
  • M_Anthony
    @LubieLoo17

Hi

I haven't heard of this, but it looks really useful! Thanks for adding it to the list.
  • April2018mom
    What would you suggest for small children? My son is 2 with a physical disability. 
  • LubieLoo17
    LubieLoo17 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    @M_Anthony Brilliant, Have you tried it yet?  I'
    Lucy 

Brightness