Why haven't UC payments increased? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why haven't UC payments increased?

babs2629
babs2629 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited September 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have a younger brother who has autism. He managed to hold down a little job for 30 years until he was made redundant 6 years ago. He was on Job Seekers Allowance, with a disability premium until last year when we were "persuaded " that he needed to change to UC. He is now 27 pounds a week worse off ( thank goodness for PIP ) and despite challenging a decision that he couldn't go on ESA. To add insult to injury, and this affects all, Universal Credit payments have not increased in the 18 months that he has been on it. Why is this so called benefit so different, as other benefits increased on a yearly basis?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To claim limited capability for work (LCW) under UC then he needs to send in sick notes from his GP. A PIP claim doesn't automatically entitle you to LCW.

You say he challenged a decision? do you mean he had a work capability assessment for UC and they found him fit for work?

He will not receive any extra money unless he's given limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) after a work capability assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • babs2629
    Thanks for your comment. He has been given LCWRA, but no extra payment has been given
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2019
    When was the decision made?

Are you sure it's LCWRA and not LCW? If it's just LCW (limited capability for work) then there won't be any extra payments because his claim started after April 2017.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • babs2629
    Sorry, just checked and it's LCW 
  • poppy123456
    That will be the reason why he's not receiving any extra money. If his condition has got worse he can report worsening of condition and more work capability assessment forms will be sent. Evidence will be needed and most likely a work capability assessment. Do be aware that by doing this he could lose the LCW that he already has.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    My local council never informs anyone of their rights and benefit qualifying situations and enforce this on their staff under the threat of instant dismissal if they are too helpful. When I first applied for benefits (many years ago) the lady quietly told me I should look into applying for 4 benefits but stated that she couldn't say any more or tell me which ones due to the unfair pressure from the Council rules.

From what I have heard from people and on TV it appears that UC doesn't work well and sometimes is so bad that some have committed suicide rather than try to get it right or get help. While people give up and don't fight back the Council's will get away with causing great distress and suffering.

Try to get any organisation on your side and able to assist you.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @babs2629 and welcome to the community. :)
    Unfortunately, lots of benefits were 'frozen' a number of years ago and haven't seen increases for some time, Job Seekers Allowance didn't increase this year either. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.