mobility very hard to get vs daily living on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mobility very hard to get vs daily living on PIP

worried33
worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
edited September 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I think this is probably already easy to speculate given the signifcant changes to the requirements from DLA to PIP and the government even openly admitting they targeted people with mobility issues for PIP cuts.

But this report shows the stark reality.  That it is extremely hard to get PIP for mobility if you dont also have daily living needs.

The report also clearly states getting mobility is much harder than daily living, only a measly 3% of claimants get mobility as standalone, thats shockingly low, the amount who get daily living alone is over 25%.  That 3% is also 3% of awarded claims, not 3% of registrants.

Report here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807652/pip-statistics-to-april-2019.pdf

At the end of April 2019, 2,114,000 people had a PIP claim in payment, an increase of 64,000 (3%) on the previous quarterly figure (January 2019). 2,090,000 (99%) were assessed under normal rules.

For normal rules claims:

 27% received Daily Living Award only, 3% received Mobility Award only, and 70% received both.

 60% received at least one component at the enhanced rate, with 30% receiving the highest level of awards (‘enhanced/enhanced’ rates) for both Mobility and Daily Living components.

 26% have been in payment for between 2 and up to 3 years

Comments

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Interesting figures but I'm not overly surprised. Those of us with mobility issues are likely to have daily needs too. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the heads up @worried33. When I filled out the DLA form, I provided a ton of detail on my son’s mobility issues. He gets higher mobility, and lower care. I told them I thought he needed a wheelchair all the time as he virtually has no leg function (he has SB L1/2). In layman’s terms his level of paralysis is higher than we were originally told by the MFM doctor. Plus he also has serious bladder problems that means he always needs to be near a toilet or he could become sick. I also wrote that on the form. Interested to hear other responses and experiences too! 
  • worried33
    Funny enough I know a lot of people with mobility issues and they wouldnt fit any PIP daily needs criteria, there is a lot of people out there with mobility issues but no issues looking after themselves at home.  However the new PIP criteria is quite extreme, so I do agree with the new criteria, alot of those who match it may well also have living needs.

However I do wonder that if I had no daily living needs but the same mobility issues (the case 5 or so years ago when I applied for DLA) would have I got the descriptor that I was given on my PIP assessment for mobility, I am inclined to think that if a HCP see's you have daily living needs they are more inclined to accept the mobility problems. 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    @worried33 - I haven't read the report closely but where's the evidence that 'mobility is very hard to get'?

If I follow you correctly the 'easiest' thing to claim for is a psychiatric disorder - which is contrary to a lot of the posts on here.

I wonder why?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    @April2018mom the statistics posted above are for PIP and not DLA. DLA for children has completely different criteria to PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • worried33
    edited September 2019
    @cristobal Now that could be a possibility I hadnt thought off.  

If I did would you still be asking for evidence? or is evidence only required for one thing and not the other?

I will try and find more information to clarify it, the only data I have as well is the amount of people with DLA mobility awards that transferred to a PIP mobility award.  In terms of data where only specific descriptors are claimed, I dont think the DWP have published that but someone might have asked for it in a FOI request.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.