How to tax a vehicle your about to buy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to tax a vehicle your about to buy

Options
Bingo
Bingo Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
I recently got awarded the higher level of mobility PIP so I believe that means my main vehicle can be tax exempt.  At the moment I have done nothing about it as I am probably about to change vehicles.  I think the practice now when you buy a used car is the seller taxes it for you online that day (I think).  Anyone know what the procedure would be for me now.  Do I just drive it away to the nearest post office and sort it out there or tax it and pay then claim it back?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello can you take send or email a copy of your award notification with the road tax exemption ref number showing. I did this but as the car I was buying was £20 a year the dealer paid the tax for me. My previous car was £235 a year so having the exemption was very nice. 
  • Bingo
    Options
    Thanks but send it to who?  Last time I bought a used car I just paid online at the garage and it was taxed.  Im just not sure what I do now I have the PIP allowance on the day I actually buy the car.  Reading up it says you need to take the logbook and MOT and your PIP award evidence to a post office but presumably until I do that the car is not taxed so I cant drive about in it.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I emailed my copy to the dealer he confirmed it’s arrival and paid the £20 road tax him self so I am not using my exemption certificate. But if you do use the exemption certificate there could be or are conditions attached to the users of the car. I was always in the car when it was driven by my daughters could be a grey area not sure.
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    The process to move a used car to the Disabled taxation class is given on this web page at gov.uk (click). You have a vehicle tax exemption, which must be handled at a Post Office handling vehicle tax matters.

In future years, you can renew online, but as you have realised the first application cannot be done online as you also have to change the taxation class. All you will need is the green 'new keeper' part of the V5C, the relevant part of your PIP entitlement papers and, if relevant, an MoT certificate. You also need a certificate of insurance if you are in Northern Ireland.

You should leave the car where it is and not drive it until you have taken the papers to the Post Office and you have your receipt. If you cannot do that then you should pay for a year's tax, drive to a Post Office and then wait for a refund on the tax you paid - which I would expect to be for 11 months as I believe DVLA policy is that they only refund wholly unused months. It might be cheaper to get a taxi or a lift to and from the Post Office than to pay to tax the car and lose a month's tax.
  • Bingo
    Options
    david235 said:
    The process to move a used car to the Disabled taxation class is given on this web page at gov.uk (click). You have a vehicle tax exemption, which must be handled at a Post Office handling vehicle tax matters.

In future years, you can renew online, but as you have realised the first application cannot be done online as you also have to change the taxation class. All you will need is the green 'new keeper' part of the V5C, the relevant part of your PIP entitlement papers and, if relevant, an MoT certificate. You also need a certificate of insurance if you are in Northern Ireland.

You should leave the car where it is and not drive it until you have taken the papers to the Post Office and you have your receipt. If you cannot do that then you should pay for a year's tax, drive to a Post Office and then wait for a refund on the tax you paid - which I would expect to be for 11 months as I believe DVLA policy is that they only refund wholly unused months. It might be cheaper to get a taxi or a lift to and from the Post Office than to pay to tax the car and lose a month's tax.

That last paragraph all makes sense.  Ill try and drive down to the post office in the car I am part exchanging with the new car docs and see if I can get it done there and then (assuming its an instant process?) then go back and swap them over. If not will just pay to tax it and claim it back and lose a month.  Its no big deal really.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.