cost of GP letter - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

cost of GP letter

13»

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @pollyanna1052 thank you for your kind words. I can still see little Mark's face 40 years later. it was a privilege to work with some of the patient's I had, especially the children.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @chiarieds, thank you for sharing your stories of your time working with the NHS, it was a really moving read and I'm sure you made a big difference to the lives of the people you mentioned (and many more). 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chiarieds
    Thank you @Adrian_Scope. I became a physio as I really wanted to help people. Some of my patients made a big difference in my life. I have also had many occasions to be grateful for my physio training, with my children having different problems & then researching to find out more to help our family & others. Many of you really help people in this community; I just helped in a different way.
  • 28hopel
    28hopel Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    I paid £60 and it was only 3 lines?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    28hopel said:
    I paid £60 and it was only 3 lines?
    This is exactly why a letter from a GP isn't the best evidence.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    edited September 2019
    Hmm...so playing Devil's advocate here, what is the best evidence? I must admit that I would be disappointed to pay £60 & only receive 3 lines, but can it be argued that therefore any GP's letter is not the best evidence?

Perhaps the best evidence is your own. I can only comment on the PIP process. You fill in this 'How Your Disability Affects You' booklet....some said to exaggerate it; fill it in as if it was my worst days.... I completed it honestly. When questioned by the Health Care Professionals at my assessments (did have 2 as apparently the first was incomplete) I was then just reiterating the truth of how my conditions affect me.....so no contra-indications as to my veracity.

Over the years various consultants I've met have been kind enough to send me a copy of their letters. Almost invariably I have found that they contained errors..... one Professor I saw even asked me to re-write them after I emailed his secretary underlining what he thought had been said, & putting in brackets what was indeed factual.

A person's evidence may be the best evidence. Anything else to corroborate that may be beneficial. It may depend, as far as your GP goes, as to whether they have a good understanding of your disorder/disability....whether they understand the PIP descriptors....whether they have seen you often & understand how your problems affect you; whether you have a good rapport with them & feel they may be able to help you. There are so many variables.

I argue (with the greatest respect to the OP & others) that a blanket assumption that a GP's letter may not help may be incorrect.....it all depends. Any supporting evidence you may have such as Consultant's letters, Physio/OT reports, test results, etc. should of course be used if they corroborate your information correctly.
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @chiarieds

Same here with copy letters. 

Every time I see anyone who will be writing to my GP, I ask them to send me a copy. 

These are what I am using for my PIP renewal assessment next week. 

Fingers crossed.!!! 

Aarrggh.......... :#
  • chiarieds
    @paffuto10 I hope all goes well with your PIP renewal assessment next week. Great you have copies of letters sent to your GP!
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    paffuto10 said:
    @chiarieds

Same here with copy letters. 

Every time I see anyone who will be writing to my GP, I ask them to send me a copy. 

These are what I am using for my PIP renewal assessment next week. 

Fingers crossed.!!! 

Aarrggh.......... :#
    Good luck with your renewal assessment x
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.