Universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit

pigeon55
pigeon55 Community member Posts: 116 Courageous
I'm in recipte of uc disability payment. My wife works 30 hrs a week. My daughter has finished full time education and started work. Will her income effect our uc as she lives at home. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You will need to tell UC that your daughter is no longer in full time education if you were claiming the child element of UC and this will stop. Other than that her income will not affect your UC payments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pigeon55
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @pigeon55,

If you rent your property and get the Housing element of UC, it is possible that this could be affected by your daughter moving in.
    If you get a disability benefit such as PIP then they would deduct anything from your benefit.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Non dependent deductions under UC housing element are much more generous than housing benefit was. If the non dependents are under the age of 21 there won't be any deductions, even if the claimant doesn't claim PIP daily living/DLA mid/high rate care.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi,
    thanks @poppy123456.
    You are quite right. I was just letting @pigeon55 know of the potential impact. Forewarned is forearmed!.
    @pigeon55-sorry, I meant to put that if you get a disability benefit they would NOT deduct anything!
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • pigeon55
    My uc benifit is paid as a disability benefit. I get pip lower rate mobility and higher daily living. I also get a disembelement payment due to injury at work. 
  • pigeon55
    Sorry also our house has a small mortgage on it

• poppy123456
    pigeon55 said:
    My uc benifit is paid as a disability benefit. I get pip lower rate mobility and higher daily living. I also get a disembelement payment due to injury at work. 
    I'm assuming you mean you receive the LCWRA element of UC?

Do DWP know about the Industrial Injuries disablement benefit? Receiving this will reduce your UC payments because it's classed as Income.
  • pigeon55
    Yes they reduce my payment as I recive this benifit. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.