MR still says no award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR still says no award

amy1188
amy1188 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
I made a claim in January as I have arthritis and mental health problems. My assessor report appeared to be speaking about someone else so I questioned this. They then asked for a GP report which stated clearly that I do not leave the house due to mental health issues and the difficulties I have because of my arthritis. I have now been told that even after an MR they still are refusing to award anything. How are they able to just completely ignore what a trained medical professional is telling them? 
I know that it is based on how it affects me and not just the condition but my GP and consultant have literally stated in multiple letters how this affects me daily.

Comments

• amy1188
    amy1188 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    I made a claim in January as I have arthritis and mental health problems. My assessor report appeared to be speaking about someone else so I questioned this. They then asked for a GP report which stated clearly that I do not leave the house due to mental health issues and the difficulties I have because of my arthritis. I have now been told that even after an MR they still are refusing to award anything. How are they able to just completely ignore what a trained medical professional is telling them? 
    I know that it is based on how it affects me and not just the condition but my GP and consultant have literally stated in multiple letters how this affects me daily.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Only 18% of MR decisions change, so most have to take it to Tribunal which is your next step and you have 1 month from the date of the MR decision to request this. Waiting times for hearings are huge across most of the country so you could be waiting in excess of 1 year for a hearing date. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. Paper based decisions have a much less chance of succeeding.

GP letters aren't the best evidence to send to support a claim because a GP will very rarely know how your conditions affect you. They will only usually know the basics, like medication and what appointments you've had etc.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.