Have you ever received an act of kindness? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you ever received an act of kindness?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2019 in Coffee lounge

Today is International Day of Charity, a day which is celebrated every 5th September. 

Every year, charities all over the world help to save and improve people’s lives, fighting disease, protecting children, and giving hope to many thousands of people.

To honour the important work that these many charities do, in 2012 the United Nations decided to nominate an annual International Day of Charity as an official day of recognition and celebration.

To celebrate this special day every year, the work of different charities all over the word is publicised and celebrated, and people are encouraged to donate money and time, to carry out charitable works, and also to educate people and raise awareness about the many charitable issues worldwide. Education and giving are the essence of this special day.

When looking at the history of Scope, the charity has been supporting people for a long time. It was founded in 1952 with the aim of giving disabled children equal access to education. It was then in 1957 that employment support started and 1970 saw the launch of our first charity shop! Here is the full timeline of Scope's history.

This year the focus of International Day of Charity is on giving. It's not only charities that can give, and this is what we would love to hear about.

Have you ever received an act of kindness? Have you ever done a good deed for someone else? Let us know in the comments below!

Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Yesterday whilst working in town, someone kindly let me have a couple of books free of charge. I offered to pay but they said I worked there so there was no need. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, over my 66 years I have received many acts of kindness and I hope I have done the same for others.
    If I have experienced a difficult time and have found a solution, then I really want to help someone else get the same relief. When I befriend someone, I give them my all..

• paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Sometimes I go into town on the bus, on really bad days I use a taxi. 

In both, people are really kind.
    Some taxi drivers (not all) open the door, help me in, fasten my seatbelt. 

On the bus I am reeeaally slow getting out of my seat and moving along the bus. Other passengers often wait /help. 

Always makes my day  :)

• Chloe_Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    In daily life I always find that there is someone to help me, if it's not my husband/family/friends who are assisting me with everyday tasks then it is acquaintances/strangers who are helping also.  Simple acts of kindness such as opening doors, carrying things for me or just stopping to ask how I am goes such a long way and makes my day more bearable.  Thanks to everyone who helps me.   :)
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have often had minor acts done but the few major ones have always been done with ulterior motives involved. I used to do such things myself but until I was restricted to home it was less and less possible. Now ofc I don't really see anyone anyway, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • paffuto10
    Know what you mean @Topkitten

My daughter (sceptical :) ) insists taxi drivers are helping for a tip!
    I like to believe they are being kind. o:)
  • paffuto10
    Here's another one.

Last year our electric had to be cut off for the day due to repairs. 

Kind neighbour came round with three flasks. One coffee, one tea and one hot water.  :)
  • paffuto10
    Young lady came round from the council (can't even remember what for) 

She went to the loo and noticed that part of the landing carpet was sticking up at the edge. She asked for a hammer and actually got on her hands and knees and fixed it!! 

How's that for service?  :)
  • pollyanna1052
    Topkitten said:
    I have often had minor acts done but the few major ones have always been done with ulterior motives involved. I used to do such things myself but until I was restricted to home it was less and less possible. Now ofc I don't really see anyone anyway, lol!

TK
    You may not see anyone in person, but a kind word here is appreciated. Thanks x
  • paffuto10
    @pollyanna1052

I feel that you were "getting at" @Topkitten a bit there or is it just me? 
  • pollyanna1052
    No I mean he is doing kind things by supporting folk here. Maybe my meaning wasnt clear.x

• paffuto10
    @pollyanna1052

No sorry it's me , I misunderstood. 
    Whoops  :p

• pollyanna1052
    thats ok. Thanks x
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    My taxi driver once took us all to McDonald’s and bought us ice cream on the way home. He even rang my mum to see if she wanted anything as well. ?
  • April2018mom
    Once when my kids were 1, I was at a shoe shop. My friend who worked at the shop that day, offered to watch them while I used the toilet quickly. I have returned the act of kindness. They were 13 months old then it was Christmas of 2017. All the shops were packed with customers. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Such a lovely thing for them to say @Jurph! I hope it was some good chicken!
    Scope

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Such a lovely thing for them to say @Jurph! I hope it was some good chicken!
    It was great! We got 3 meals out of it too. My mum looked a bit weird walking down the road in her oven gloves and roasting dish though.
  • April2018mom
    Story Two

A few days ago, I was at a local pub with the family for dinner. As I was leaving, I could not push my son's wheelchair through their entrance/exit doors. So one member of staff who was working at the bar that night came to assist me in getting out. It was kind of embarrassing but funny. 

Brightness