Divorce and ill health retired = worried — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Divorce and ill health retired = worried

dibble34
dibble34 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, I am disabled and 43.i was medically retired from work when I was 41. I was very fortunate to be awarded an ill health pension as if I had retired at 67. My question is has anyone been through divorce in this position and what happened. I do earn more that my wife as she only works part time. She could work more I suppose, but no doubt she had to be part time in the past to support my career and children. Just really worried I will loose my only income or a large portion of it! Thanks for letting me join, sorry first post is so complicated! 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @dibble34. You need to speak with a lawyer about divorce. None of us can offer you specific legal advice unfortunately. 
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    As @April2018mom says, you need to speak to a solicitor who deals with divorce about the relative merits of the claims you and your wife would have over your joint income and assets on divorce. It is possible to put forward an argument that your costs of living are higher now you are disabled - but that is something you need legal advice on.
  • dibble34
    dibble34 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you both, I do intend to get legal advice. Was just looking to see if anyone else has been through a similar thing as it seems quite a rare case. There was another thread here, but the resolution was not added.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My advice is to search for lawyer firms online. Call tomorrow or email with your questions. Make sure they are trained in family law though. A list of services can be found on the website, check it carefully. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @dibble34 and a warm welcome to the community. :)
    I'm sorry we've not been able to help you more with your query, have you considered giving our helpline a call? 0808 800 3333.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on with the solicitor. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness