REASSESSMENTS FOR THE OVER 65'S — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

REASSESSMENTS FOR THE OVER 65'S

markyboy
markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
i had a tribunal last year and won but my award which was originally for 3 years is to end this December i have received a letter inviting me to make a new claim for PIP so i had to ring the new claims help line and give all my details including bank details again even though i am receiving PIP and they have all my details already.
i asked what is the new criteria that was implemented in July regarding that people over 65 will not be reassessed as i am 67 she was unaware of this and told me that she will post a how your disability affects you form to me and if i needed any help to ring the PIP helpline to which i did  and they said you need to make a new claim and because you are over 65 you will get a ongoing award so i am still not clear if i will have to see Capita .
Is there anyone out there that is over 65 and made a new claim recently and can shed any light on the procedure

Comments

• JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Hi, I made a claim for PIP from DLA recently (July this year) and got awarded both daily living and mobility on the lower level. I am not being assessed again for ten years I'm 68, 69 in a weeks time.  My DLA was indefinite so no reviews at all. Pip is in 10 years by which time I'll be almost 80 if I'm still alive.  I understand that OAP's were getting a 'light touch' on assessments, now we don't have Amanda Rudd in charge the new lady (can't remember her name) is not very favourable toward OAPS, so expect it to all change again!  

• markyboy
    When you transferred  from DLA did you fill out all the PIP forms and the DWP decided on your award or did you have to have a medical assessment
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    In this link here it says it applies to those of state pension age who's conditions are "unlikely" to change.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    There was and is a degree of confusion over exactly what Amber Rudd announced in March 2019, as Benefits and Work notes (click), @markyboy. It seems it may well have been nothing more than a change in guidance that more awards to people already over State Pension age should be "ongoing period" (which means light touch review every 10 years) - or perhaps even a restatement of the existing guidance.

Whatever happened, your existing award has a definite end date and has not been revised to "ongoing period", so you must reclaim in the normal way, including a face to face assessment if called. Perhaps this time you will get an "ongoing period" award.
  • poppy123456
    I'm going to tag someone for you that will know more about this.

@Government_needs_reform hello my friend, i hope you don't mind me tagging you. Please would you be so kind as to give your advice regarding this. Your expert knowledge, would be very appreciated here. Thanks in advance!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • markyboy
    So what you are saying is you fill the forms in and the DWP decide if your condition is unlikely to change and give you an award and if they think it could change they will send you for a medical
  • markyboy
    Thankyou POPPY It is such a grey area not even the DWP  can give me a straight answer 
  • JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    edited September 2019
    Hi Markyboy.  I applied for PIP as you have to do and same as everyone else got a F2F then waited for my result which came quite quickly in about 3 and half weeks by letter.  I sent a lot of consultant letters with my PIP2 form and even just before the lady came to assess me I sent i another very detailed supporting  letter from my consultant direct to the company who came to assess me I had a hame assessment possibly because I live a long way from anywhere they hold them or because I had an asthma attack in hospital and it's mentioned in one of my consultant letters sent to them with my PIP form.  Best of Luck.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    I'm going to tag someone for you that will know more about this.

@Government_needs_reform hello my friend, i hope you don't mind me tagging you. Please would you be so kind as to give your advice regarding this. Your expert knowledge, would be very appreciated here. Thanks in advance!
    Thanks @poppy123456

This is the latest regarding ongoing PIP awards for pensioners.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Ps to add @markyboy, you will be given a Ongoing award when you've filled in the new form? But remember it will only be granted Ongoing if you pass the assessment. 
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• markyboy
    Thankyou i have just spoke to the DWP and they said i will need to have a FTF Assessment so i quoted the article and he had to put me on hold then said there was a letter in the post explaining everything  about my claim so i will wait and see what develops 
    It seems that they do not have a rule for all pensioners and each case is judged on it's merits so what Amber Rudd said that all people of state pension age will no longer have to have face to face assessments is not as black and white as it looked but that is politicians for you.
  • poppy123456
    markyboy said:

It seems that they do not have a rule for all pensioners and each case is judged on it's merits so what Amber Rudd said that all people of state pension age will no longer have to have face to face assessments is not as black and white as it looked but that is politicians for you.
    Which is exactly what the link states above. It depends on your circumstances and whether your conditions are likely to change or not.
  • markyboy
    Finally got clarification from the DWP  it seems that if you are over 65 and in receipt of an award with a review date and when that date comes and your condition is unlikely to change you will be put on to an ongoing award with a light touch review .
    If you are over 65 and your award has an end date and no review which if it has been set by a tribunal normally happens, when your award gets within 14 weeks of the end date you will be invited to apply for PIP as a new claim and you will have to have a face to face assessment even if you are over 65, if you are successful you will be put on a light touch award.
    @markyboy as I explained to you a while ago if the DWP think you need to you will have to fill in the form, only then if you pass the assessment, you will then be awarded ongoing light touch under the retirement age.

If they already have Conclusive evidence You would have been sent an ongoing award.
    Here is a update from 7th October 2019.

Hope this helps you understand a little more.
    ⬇️

@markyboy this is my ongoing assessment 10 year light touch which runs till 2027, and as you can see I will pass over again on an ongoing award when I retire, only a few years off it, as the DWP have Conclusive evidence of my PIP.

⬇️

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @markyboy

This is my recent experience of PIP over 65 years.

I transferred from DLA in 2015 to PIP, was awarded enhanced for both parts, for 5 years.

I was expecting to review the claim this November.

I am now 67 years old and heard about changes for those over 65, but could not find anything.

Low and behold, in July I got the dreaded DWP brown envelope.

It was a ten page letter, stating that they had reviewed my claim and had decided that I was to remain on enhanced for both components until July 2029, after which I will have a further review.

I have in my mind, that enhanced for both, might be the trigger, as well as your age.

I Hope this helps.
    edited October 2019
    @atlas46 People can and do get ongoing whether their on Standard rates only, see this thread I created a while ago on this subject. Reasons why someone while only get Standard rights Ongoing is if the DWP thinks the decision is stable and won't get any worse the will give them an ongoing award only.

See here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/61766/pip-ongoing-awards-whether-it-be-both-enhanced-and-or-standard-awards-light-touch
    ⬇️

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.