Mandatory reconsideration over the phone? Good idea or not. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory reconsideration over the phone? Good idea or not.

tastytom
tastytom Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi,
Im at the stage of requesting a mandatory reconsideration of my recent PIP decision.
When I telephoned PIP earlier today to make them aware of my intentions and that I’d be submitting a letter soon with full details of my reasons as to why I disagree with the decision.
The lady I spoke to advised me that there was a simpler and quicker way for them to reconsider my claim, it can actually be carried out over the phone whereby I can state all my reasons as to why I think the decision is wrong etc. without having to submit written details. 
Can I ask if anyone has used this method and if so what did they think of it? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I don't recommend you to do this. When requesting the MR it's always better to put it in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those.

You really can't go into all that detail through a phone call and then how do you know they are actually typing exactly what you say?

Even though only 18% of MR decisions change, to give yourself the best chance of being in that 18% it needs to be put in writing and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tastytom
    @poppy123456

Hi, thanks so much for your reply.
    I’m putting my MR in writing as we speak and I totally agree with your views on the telephone option.
    The lady I spoke to on the telephone was really selling the option to me and that’s why I thought I should ask for views/opinions on here as to whether it was as good as she was saying it was.
    Thanks again and fingers crossed I make it into that exclusive 18% 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad you've decided to put it in writing @tastytom. Best of luck with it and I'll keep my fingers crossed you're one of the 18%!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • saz11
    saz11 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    @tastytom

Hi when i applied for my MR i did it over the phone but it was to include i would also be sending in a follow up letter. I felt this gave me time to compose my letter in more detail. 

I then followed up with a phone call to confirm they had received and processed my letter through there system which  they had.

The reason i went with phone initially was it gets the ball rolling from when you make the call.

Obviously it worked well for me but that maybe not the case for everyone.

Hope all goes your way.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Ringing first to request it may not be a good idea either because they may not wait for the letter and extra evidence, if you plan on sending it. I've known this happen many times.

Best advice, is to put it in writing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • saz11
    @poppy123456

I was just sharing my experience i thought that was what the site is about. I was not in anyway trying to influence anyones decision. 
  • tinka1992
    tinka1992 Community member Posts: 97 Connected
    Mine was done over phone and in righting I won my mr 
  • tastytom
    @poppy123456 @saz11

Hi again, I just wanted to update you regarding our above conversations. I received my Mandatory Reconsideration decision this morning and sadly they haven’t changed their minds or changed their original decision.
    I only sent off my further info. on 4/10 and their decision letter is dated 11/10 so it certainly didn’t take then long to make their decision.
    They stand by their decision that I am still able to cook my meals in a microwave oven even although I’m having 6-10 full seizures per week and disregarded the fact that I’ve badly scalded myself numerous times due to having a seizure whilst working in the kitchen ( I have absolutely no prior warnings of seizures occurring. ) 
    They also said that I can manage my own medication regime because I am fully recovered from a seizure within one hour!
    I could go on and on but I shan’t....actually upon reading their decision it’s the same as before...it doesn’t portray the true facts about my condition or about me...it’s like reading about a stranger who also has epilepsy ( if that makes sense. )
    I’m so down and disheartened by the whole fiasco and to be honest I just feel like giving up completely as the stress and worry has really dragged me down to an all time low and my epilepsy is worse than ever.
    My only option now is to appeal but I have no idea how long and how complex that procedure is and whether or not I have the willpower to deal with it all.
    I hate my condition and I’d give anything to be seizure free and not have to give PIP a second thought.......has only taken their epilepsy based PIP claim to the appeal stage? How did it go? 
  • saz11
    @tastytom

I am really sorry to hear your MR was not successful. It makes you wonder what process they work to as it definitely doesnt seem to be the same one for all DWP employees.

I have read in previous threads of people with epilepsy taking it to tribunal and being successful. 
    How long it will take is anyone's guess my MR took 10 weeks and yours took not even a week for them to make a decision.

It must be disheartening and i understand you feel like giving up but take a few days to think it over and then see how you feel.

I do hope you have lots of support as i know from experience epilepsy can leave you feeling very lonely and isolated. 

We are here anytime for any help you require or just a chat.
  • tastytom
    @saz11
    Thank you...you’re very kind. 
  • Billyg1971
    Billyg1971 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited October 2019
    I was medically discharged from the Army after 18 years.  I was told to apply for ESA which I did and they put me on it for a year.  After the year my payments stopped and I was told I was entitled to nothing.  I re applied for ESA and had to go through two mandatory reconsideration's with their 'medical professional' I then went to appeal which I won. 

Five days later I received two letters, the first said I would receive backpay for ESA.  Finally I thought, then the second letter stated because I hadn't paid my stamp I was not entitled to it.  ATOS, or whatever name these people are using at the moment, is designed with an actual target for rejecting 80% of claims, regardless of your medical history.  It seems the 'ATOS healthcare professionals' think they know more than the consultants and my medical history. 

The easy solution to this problem is give your GP's the power to decide if you are disabled or not, then shrink the DWP for this area into small teams, these would investigate cases at random to ensure doctors are not being dodgy, unlikely but stranger things have happened.  Served my country, risked my life, made my medical situation worse and put me into a suicide mode.  I would really like to see about legal aid to sue the DWP for the stress these beaurocrats have inflicted on me and my family.  Not a happy bunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Swordfish
    Swordfish Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering

TRIBUNALS SERVICE WEBCHAT
    As part of its ongoing, cost-cutting plunge into online appeals, the Tribunals Service has launched a webchat provision.

Webchat is in addition to telephone support.

It means that claimants completing an online form to lodge an appeal, for example, can get support in a pop-up window without having to leave the page they are working on.

People using paper forms connected to their appeal are also free to use webchat, by visiting the gov.uk site.

Questions about why waiting times are growing whilst the number of appeals is falling will probably not be appreciated, however.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.