Carers that are self employed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers that are self employed

janconzt1
janconzt1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I’m trying to find out if my partner claims carers for me will it effect his existing claim for housing benefit and will he have to go on universal credit 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For your partner to claim carers allowance for looking after you, you must claim a qualifying benefit such as mid/high rate care DLA or PIP daily living.

He mustn't earn anymore than £123 per week after deductions. It's also a taxable benefit. It could affect his housing benefit depending on circumstances. No, he won't have to claim UC because carers allowance isn't part of UC.

If you do claim a qualifying benefit and you live alone, your partner claiming carers allowance could affect your benefits if you're claiming the severe disability premium. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janconzt1
    Hi my partner only earns about £80 so presently gets full housing , we don’t live together and I’m on standard rate living x 
  • poppy123456
    May i ask what other benefits you claim and do you live alone?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janconzt1
    I lim on universal credit which includes my bereavement benefit and my daughter lives with me she has severe adhd  
  • poppy123456
    Then if he claims carers allowance for looking after you then it won't affect your benefits. He will need to tell his local council that he's claiming it and it's also a taxable benefit.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.