Pip assessment and sick pay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment and sick pay

Options
lmanning
lmanning Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello
I had a pip assessment at home today and it's gone badly wrong.
I had a brain hemorrhage grade 3 last year but was deemed fit for work so couldn't get sick pay. I've worked all my life as employed and for the last five years self employed.
My brain is damaged and I've had to learn everything from the start.
I am registered partially sighted and have permanent nerve damage from the brain hemorrhage.
I've had to claim job seekers universal credit and sign on since this happened. Filling in forms and forms and now suffered a terrible interrogation from pip where I felt like a performing seal and left shaking and confused.
I feel so poorly now. I asked the assessor to leave my house as I was so stressed with repetitive questions. All my savings are gone trying to survive on 70 pound a week.

I don't understand why they think my brain is fine to answer all these questions.i find it so cruel and I really am not well enough to take this to court!

Any advice welcome
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. May i ask when the PIP assessment was and have you had the decision on that claim yet?

People often feel like these assessments are an interrogation but they have to ask the questions to get the full picture of how your conditions affect you. Without asking them they can't assess you properly. Did you get some help with the claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lmanning
    Options
    Hi thanks for your replies.
    The assessment was this morning. And I understand that they have to ask questions but it was the repetitiveness same question over and over asking me to spell n add up my GP has filled in the forms they know I'm brain injury. I can't blame the assessor he actually was a good person but this is rediculas. 
    I just hope other people don't have to suffer like this.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Repetitive questions is part of the PIP assessment. Spelling and adding are some of the questions they ask you at the end which is also part of the PIP assessment. I totally understand it's not nice as i've been through it myself multiple times. Unfortunately, paper based assessments are rare so most people have face to face assessments.

PIP is awarded based on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors and not on a diagnosis.

Wait a week then ring DWP to request a copy of the PIP assessment report, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @lmanning and a warm welcome to the community. 
    I'm sorry you feel that your PIP assessment went badly wrong yesterday. Please take Poppy's advice and request a copy of your report in about a week. Let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lmanning
    Options
    Thanks I feel better now I will get a copy just overwhelming. Major head pains didn't know where to turn. Thanks x
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya! Sorry to hear you've so much on your plate. 

Firstly, it's awful that these assessments are so incredibly stressful. There folks campaigning for change and although in my experience claiming PIP several times, it is getting better there's a long way to go.

Meanwhile. What I want to say is, your whole life won't be decided from Thai one assessment. Even if it doesn't go your way you can get support and appeal. 

It's very difficult for us to truly judge how our assessments went cos they're so stressful. As above, give it a week, try to put it behind you, then get the report.  Do do so come on here or ring the helpline to get support. 

Have you got support at home? 

Is it your first PIP assessment? Cos just think, next time you're going to be stronger and much more prepared. Always take someone with you if you can. 

Keep is up to date. 

How are you doing today? 
  • lmanning
    Options
    Thanks x
    I'm ok today I think because I threw the pip out of my house I can't expect much! I did hear that a lady had set her dog on said assessor which has made me feel better xx 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.