Second face to face after a mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Second face to face after a mandatory reconsideration

nhasson601
nhasson601 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone. I suppose I'm looking to see if anyone has been in the same situation. I took a stroke in march and have had mobility problems & cognitive impairment as well as chronic pain and fatigue. I applied for PIP and was 1 point off getting daily living and mobility so I appealed it as I the assessors report on the day of my first face to face was filled with lies. They asked for more evidence and my GP done me a really great and honest report to send off to then which I felt would back me up. The report included a new diagnoses of fibromyalgia. On my original claim and face to face I mentioned about my mobility issues and chronic pain (which at the time was the fibromyalgia although I hadn't been diagnosed). The  decision maker then rang me and said that because I have a new diagnosis they are wanting to do another face to face because "circumstances have changed". I'm no better or worse since the first f2f so I don't think things have changed just because I've been given a formal diagnosis.  anyways the 2nd face to face is next week and I'm wondering if anyone has had 2 face to faces which a positive outcome? If successful will I get my claim backdated to the original date I started my claim? 

Comments

• linlin01
    linlin01 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
     Hi @nhasson601,
    My sympathies are with you.  I'm about to have a f2f in a couple of weeks.  Am anxious about it already, and looking into ways that I can ensure I don't get tripped up by the questions, as I have done in the past.

There doesnt seem to be any set rules in terms of how many anythings you have - I had 2 mandatory considerations once, for example.  And I was successful after the 2nd.

If you ring the number on your PIP letter they will be able to tell you whether they will back date, although I should think they would as long as you haven't had to fill in another application form?

You may already know this but I'm realising that preparation is the key, and not just answering yes or no.  Tell them all the details eg not just yes I can get dressed, but how long it takes, what you have to do to get dressed, what clothes you are limited to, whether you need help, how you get dressed etc.

Have you seen this: http://www.pip-assessment.support ?  It's got practice questions on it to help you prepare.  Also where I live there is advice available from the council's welfare rights unit, Citizens Advice and a few other advocacy charities who will go with you to the interview if you wish.

I've got a chronic pain/fibromyalgia condition by the way.

Best of luck, fingers crossed for a successful outcome.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @nhasson601.

This is a great opportunity to tell them all about your impairment and what you find hard to do as well. Make the most of it. Talk about any hard and easy days.
    Explain when and how you require assistance. Try not to worry. Take a copy of your PIP form so you can refer to it during the assessment as and when needed.
    Bring a form of ID in case. Also have a list of meds and aids needed. Describe why you need them. Do not rush but take your time. Prepare well for any questions. Answer all questions honestly. Give as much information as possible. For example say that you have mobility issues, provide as much detail as needed. Best wishes! Keep us updated on the outcomes of your assessment.  

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.