Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

lyndzmac
lyndzmac Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi all.. so, following on from my PIP award last week (im still buzzing, whoop) I've received a letter this morning from dwp saying I might be entitled to this severe disability premium?? Reading online I think I might be!!! (bigger whoop lol ) so my question is this... do they backdate this premium back to the pip application date, the pip award date or just from when they sent me the eligibility questionnaire?? As always thanks in advance for any advice xxx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For the SDP you must live alone or be classed as living alone. If you live with other adults this must also receive a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living/DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

It's backdated to the start of your PIP award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news! Love to hear this sort of news. As you're now claiming SDP this will prevent you from claiming universal credit if a changes of circumstances happen until at least January 2021.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,835 Scope online community team
    That's great @lyndzmac! Really pleased you've got this sorted so quickly. It sounds like it's going to be a huge help to you! 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    lyndzmac said:
    Hi poppy thanks for ur reply.. i rang the benefit section and got thru to a lovely lady who completed the claim on the phone with me and completed my award along with the backdated pay... I'm so overwhelmed that there is actually a helpful and compassionate worker within dwp. I can't believe it. I've struggled financially for 3 yrs on esa as I didn't know about pip nor was I told by anyone within benefits departments. Now it feels like they are throwing money at me.... eeeeee it's like Christmas.. xx
    Pretty much a mirror of my situation.

I have probably qualified for PIP from the day my aids were installed in my house which was over 3 years ago now.  But I never put in a claim due to paranoia if they turned me down it would trigger a ESA WCA and I lose all my income plus that was only for the mobility side, I wasnt aware my aids qualified me until very recently.  I was starting to struggle more and more financially so felt I had to make a claim, and since then is as you said feels like money been thrown at me.

SDP will be processed much quicker than PIP, I rang up to the form on a tuesday, and they made the decision by the friday.  My money went in 3 days ago.  Which I think was two working days after I was informed on the phone.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.