Paris Proof of Disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paris Proof of Disability

Samc18
Samc18 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi. I'm visiting Paris in October and have seen that disabled guests are entitled to a free ticket for themselves and a carer at various attractions.  I have a hidden disability and I am not sure what proof they will accept even after emailing directly.  I have a PIP statement and disabled railcard. Is it worth getting a Disabled Identification Card? 
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It totally depends on what attractions you're going to because they will all have their own criteria. Some attractions are free in Paris but others will give the disabled person a reduced entry price, with the carer entry free, very similar to here in the UK. It would be very rare for both to have free entry.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Samc18.

Where in France are you going to? As @poppy123456 says, it is a good idea to take a photocopy of a recent benefit decision letter with you in a suitcase in case they ask to see proof. You might also find this website helpful- https://www.sagetraveling.com/paris-accessible-travel

• david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    I do not believe there is a universally recognised disabled ID card. There are a couple of cards you can gett in the UK. The Access Card is recognised by some UK ticket agencies, event promoters and attractions, but I would not necessarily expect it to be recognised abroad. There is another disabled ID card out there which I am less familiar with - I am really not sure that one really shows anything more than a Disabled Railcard would (and the Disabled Railcard does give helpful discounts on rail travel).

At least for now, UK Blue Badges are in a format that is recognised and valid across the European Union - so if you have a Blue Badge and do not need to leave it in a car in the UK, you could take that with you. It doesn't exactly fit in a pocket, though!

UK benefit entitlement letters might not be recognised abroad, but it is worth carrying a copy just in case. Every country has its own system for assessing and certifying disability.

So far as accessible toilets and other locked facilities go (if that is relevant), the RADAR key is a UK only thing. Ireland has the IWA key. Germany, Austria, Switzerland and, I believe, also a limited number of locations in the Czech Republic use the Eurokey - you have to send off proof of disability to obtain one of those; I used my Blue Badge. Australia has the MLAK key. The only foreign key I have experience of is using Eurokey in Austria and Germany.

I do not believe France has a widely used accessible toilet key - the one time I needed to use an accessible toilet in France recently, which was in Strasbourg, the bilingual guide I was with had to ask a staff member in the town hall to unlock their accessible toilet for me.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Samc18, hopefully the advice given has been helpful to you. Just wanted to wish you a great time in Paris! You'll have to let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Samc18, I hope you have an amazing trip and we'd love to hear all about it. :)
    Scope

Brightness