Successful Mandatory Reconsideration for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Successful Mandatory Reconsideration for PIP

crazyjan
crazyjan Community member Posts: 56 Pioneering
My PIP has been reinstated! I didn't expect to be one of the 18% and had given up as I'm not well enough to do a tribunal. Too poorly to feel relieved yet. It's been so awful. My thoughts are with all of you going through the pip process.

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    That is good news! 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
  • crazyjan
    Thanks both. It doesn't make sense to go from Enhanced to nothing, then back to enhanced. Don't understand but just glad it's all over.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @crazyjan, that's great news! Really happy for you. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • crazyjan
    Thanks Adrian. Still haven't taken it in as I'd really, really given up. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
  • sassell
    sassell Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi everyone not sure if I'm posting in the right place. But wanted to share my successful mandatory reconsideration. I've suffered with mental health issues for 20 years, anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, depression, ocd, bouts of agoraphobia. I've worked two jobs for years but unfortunately i had to give one job up Feb this year as my condition got worse, I can't cope with being away from home for long periods, I have seen councillors, therapist and psychiatrist over the years but never stuck to it, it just wasnt the right time. I started therapy again March 2019 and have now been referred for secondary care. As I can no longer work 2 jobs I applied for pip, had my assessment in june, with my form I sent in therapy and counselling appointment letters. I scored 0 points there were lots of inconsistencies in my report there were answers to questions  that wasn't asked or answered. there was important information not put in the report, so I put in a reconsideration,and contacted my local mp who emailed dwp stating the inconsistencies I had noticed. with my MR I sent a copy of an email from my employer stating she knows of my struggles and there is measures put in place should I feel unwell at work, just stating I can take time out. A copy of my prescription as I've started medication to help, a statement from my son stating how he helps me with cooking etc and most importantly my medical records. Stating appointment with psychiatrist, my doctor, appointments all saying patients has bad anxiety paitents blood pressure is up high due to anxiety. The MR was registered on 16th July and i honestly thought i would have to go to tribunal because of all the things I've read online. But I phoned today on the off chance it might at least be with a decision maker to be told I've been awarded 10 points for care and 10 points for mobility. I can not believe it. The relief I feel today is unreal. I just want people to know they do change MR as I was convinced they don't especially for mental health issues. So keep going people and good luck to everyone.
  • crazyjan
    So glad to read this! My award is for a serious mental health condition. Maybe it's the start of invisible disabilities being taken more seriously. Really pleased for you. Take care.
  • ABloom
    ABloom Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just waitng for result of my MR + trying to stay positive despite stats - but you do give us all hope.
  • crazyjan
    Wishing you a successful MR. I'd seriously given up when I requested mine and was shocked to be given back an enhanced award. Perhaps, because of the high success rate at tribunal, DWP are taking far more care over their reconsiderations. Let's hope so. Good luck.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @crazyjan and @sassell for sharing your stories with us, congratulations to you both!
    Scope

• sassell
    Thanks everyone and good luck, it's so hard to prove mental health keep going guys xx
  • sassell
    Aswell incase anyone is unaware, I was until 2 weeks two weeks ago, you can get your medical records for free from your GP. I was struggling to find £50 to get a letter from my doctor then found out I could get medical records for free just as good evidence id say.

• AndMac
    AndMac Community member Posts: 27 Pioneering
    Thanks for sharing your story. A friend also went from zero to standard care and low rate mobilty (same as you) on a mandatory reconsideration this year.
    I have a strong suspicion that those undertaking mandatory reconsideration decisions have been instructed to look more fully into each claim, as the cost of MRs is significantly lower than that of tribunals and appeals.
    I think the next set of statistics to be released will see a rise from 18% of challenged results overturned at MR.
    If it doesn't, it is worth remembering that somebody has to be part of that 18%.
    If your case is robust, why shouldn't it be you?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.