Reading use by dates — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reading use by dates

Options
tiggy19
tiggy19 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am assisting a new widow to cope without her husband/carer. She is now living alone and is severely sight impaired.
One thing I realised she urgently needs is a way to have a text to speech app for the dates on food labels. I've searched several sites, read articles about adapting kitchens, but nowhere do they cover this problem. Apps to find and then read barcodes for a description of the contents of tins and packets exist but can you find anything to find and then read out the use by dates?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @tiggy19

I could only find apps that allowed you to determine if the food is bad or not. If you search the App Store, you can find apps that would be useful to her. I don’t think that such a app currently exists, you would have to read them out to her. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @tiggy19 and welcome to the community!

I am partially sighted myself and can confirm all of @Username_removed's great suggestions.

I appreciate this might be something that you are really unfamiliar with if you have only just started assisting this woman.

RNIB have a great helpline which also can provide carers with practical information, so they can best support the person they are looking after.
    Call us on 0303 123 9999

We're open 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am-1pm on Saturdays.

Our Helpline team can give you advice and point you to the services that can help you face the future with confidence.

If there is anything else you can think of then please do let us know. :)

Scope

Brightness