On-going award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

On-going award

ataloss2018
ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
Would like to ask a question on ESA, wife's review came up last year just after PIP appeal win, she didn't need to do a face to face and was awarded ESA as before, this was the support group income related, no date on award letter to say when next renewal would be.

At hospital appointments she claims for travelling expenses and clerical staff stated that the letter has to be no less than a year old, so she asked DWP for new letter and it duly arrived, this time though the letter states that the award is on-going, what does this mean, could anyone please explain.  Thank You.

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    PIP is also can Ongoing award: means it won't be reassessed for 10 years. 

ESA is classed as, if you fit the severe criteria? Which the government will class as the same as PIP Ongoing, they will check it after 10 year.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

All ESA claims are ongoing unless you're found fit for work because ESA has no end date, like PIP does in some cases.

If she was placed into the severe conditions group then it would have stated this on the award letter after the last decision was made and no further re-assessments would be needed.

As there was nothing on that decision letter then it means she can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ataloss2018
    Appreciate the replies from you both.

Confusion reigns, we've checked and no decision letter  actually arrived in 2018 only the award letter with the breakdown of payments, this included living expenses, extra money for partner being a carer and disability income guarantee, also extra for being in support group.  No mention of the Severe Conditions Group you have both mentioned but she has numerous health conditions including MS, she was awarded PIP at tribunal in July 2018, enhanced on both.

Today's letter just confirms she was awarded ESA income related, stating Claim Termination Date is ongoing with payment added, underneath it just says Paid Up To:               This space is blank so no date is added.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

• poppy123456
    Decision letters for ESA are always rather strange, usually it's just as you explained above, a breakdown of payments and nothing more. Mine were all exactly the same in 2013, 2016 and 2018.

As for the  "ongoing" my advice remains as above, all ESA claims are ongoing because they have no end date. The severe conditions group is completely different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    I knew there was proof somewhere and i found it.

Taken from the above link. The 2 most important parts i've used bold and as previously advised, if no further re-assessments are needed, it will tell you in the award letter.

How long you get ESA for.
    If you’re in the work-related activity group and get contribution-based ESA, you’ll only get it for up to a year. This includes time before your medical assessment. If your disability or illness gets worse and you would qualify for the support group, you can ask the DWP to re-assess you even after the year’s finished.

If you’re in the support group or getting income-related ESA, your claim will be ongoing.

The DWP will usually re-assess your ability to work every 1, 2 or 3 years to make sure you’re still not fit to work.

If you’re in the support group, the DWP might decide they won’t need to re-assess you in future - they’ll tell you in the decision letter they send you. They’ll only do this if your condition’s unlikely to improve much in the future, and this means you’ll always be in the support group.

• ataloss2018
    Many thanks poppy123456 that has made things more clear.  

Remember you from last time around, you always give sound advice and hope you know that your input on the forum is much appreciated.  Take care.
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome! Thanks also for the kind words! :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.