Aspergers help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Aspergers help

morningall
morningall Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I'm trying to put together information for a tribunal for PIP. I'm using a specific format and want to include a no nonsense explanation of what Asperger syndrome ACTUALLY IS as I'm convinced the powers that be are totally clueless.
That being said I'm wasting time attempting to do this, getting bogged down with endless American webpages......other than the Wiki on Aspergers has anyone found a comprehensive guide that I can use? One that isn't just the usual, filled with info about children? Something that doesn't focus on special interests and the like?
I would appreciate it if any of you have found anything other than the usual......something with science behind it but not too baffling for the poor loves.
Thanks for reading folks! Here's hoping!!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis and sending information about Aspergers syndrome isn't going to help a PIP claim at all, i'm afraid.

Everyone is affected differently by these conditions and you never get 2 people the same. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

What you should be doing is looking at the PIP descriptors and decide where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. It's about your functional ability. Giving some real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you will also help.

It really helps to have some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean. This guide is long but will help you with a better understanding. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#daily-living-activities

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @morningall - I agree with Poppy; concentrate on how you condition affects you and give examples of what you have difficulty with..

If I remember correctly the application form specifically states not to send general information describing medical conditions.
  • poppy123456
    cristobal said:

If I remember correctly the application form specifically states not to send general information describing medical conditions.
    Yes, that's correct. Information about conditions isn't classed as evidence and will not be used.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • morningall
    Oh I know, of course the difficulty arises when the assessors don't understand the condition!!!!!!!
  • poppy123456
    Which is why a claimant needs to put as much information as possible about how their conditions affect them. Adding some examples as advised above will also help. It's at Tribunal stage now so has nothing to do with the assessors. General information isn't going to help your claim and won't be accepted as evidence.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @morningall
    Just a quick addition to say.If you go to Tribunal there will be a Doctor on the Judges panel who will at least have some general knowledge of how Aspergers affects people it is up to you to explain your individual experience with it as everyone is affected differently. Good luck
              Debsidoo.x

• morningall
    Thank you all for your input and kind words. :)
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Have a look at "A Concise History of Asperger Syndrome: The Short Reign of a Troublesome Diagnosis" 
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.02024/full 
  • poppy123456
    dolfrog said:
    Have a look at "A Concise History of Asperger Syndrome: The Short Reign of a Troublesome Diagnosis" 
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.02024/full 
    That's not going to help a PIP claim.
  • dolfrog
    Well if Asperger Syndrome is not recognised as a clinical diagnosis, you need to find and use the correct diagnostic explanation for an individual issues which are now part of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) 
    Keeping up to date with international research helps explain the issues correctly.
  • poppy123456
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. General information is not going to help a PIP claim.
  • dolfrog
    Such is the corrupt nature of our government
  • morningall
    Corrupt is a polite way of putting it. I thank you for the link. It doesn't help when assessors take a very personal, honest and accurate set of descriptions on your ability to complete daily activities then say your problems are, and I quote, not medical. Being insulted on a personal level rather annoyed me, to say the least. I'll keep my personal political thoughts out of this, but they have politicised illness and disability to Python-esque levels. I don't want to start an argument so I'll leave it at that.
  • dolfrog
    edited September 2019
    Hi @morningall

International research regarding Autism ASD, has been investigating the possible multiple issues that can be part of an ASD diagnosis. ASD is due to a human brain development problem which tends to occur between the ages of 2 - 3 years of age. The resulting issues can be similar to a wide range of issues many have as a single condition clinical diagnosis, such as ADHD, Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Sensory Processing Disorders, Auditory Processing Disorders, Visual Processing Disorders, etc. the list is almost endless. Each individual who has ASD can have various combinations of these multiple issues, which can cause ASD. 

I have PubMed Autism research paper collection which is listed on my Wikipedia user page in the "Invisible Disabilities" subsection 
    I hope this helps 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dolfrog#Invisible_Disabilities 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    As @poppy123456 said its how the condition effects your ability to carry out the activities. I have 3 young adults with ASD so I know how some people totally don't understand but for PIP you have to explain how it effects you carrying out the day to day activities you should concentrate on that for the tribunal x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @morningall and welcome to the community!

I hope Poppy and other members have been able to help. If you need any other support or information then please do not hesitate to ask. We appreciate how stressful it can be. 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.