I have fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease - what can help alleviate the symptoms? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease - what can help alleviate the symptoms?

jumennie
jumennie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I've just joined the group. I have fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease which have a dibilitating effect on my quality of life. I'm hoping to get some advice on things to try which may alleviate some of the symptoms I have. 

Comments

• coletteann63
    coletteann63 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Jumennie, I have Fibro, scoliosis, multi joint arthritis , Sjögren's syndrome and degenerative disc disease so I think we will have lots of things in common. Today was my first time in an electric wheelchair after struggling on crutches for the past 5 years . I had to medically retire from my career as a theatre nurse. I am awaiting a date for my tribunal as they only gave me the standard mobility rate. I live in the countryside and need a vehicle to get to shops, doctors and hospital. As you Probably already know I bet, how harrowing it all is. Hope to chat to you soon 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jumennie
    Welcome to our website and online community.
    I hope that we can help you ????
    If you pop over to our home page you will find lots of info on your condition.
    We have also got a number of Advisors who should be able to help you.
    Please please let us know if we can help you further ????
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @jumennie,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

Have you had a look at our dealing with chronic pain category? Members of our community have been sharing their tips on there and there are plenty of discussions about fibromyalgia which might be of interest to you. I've moved this post into that group. :)

I also found some information on the NHS Choices website about ways to manage chronic pain, as well as some self-help tips which you may find useful.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • samstone
    samstone Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have the same combo of Fibro, Degenerative Disc Disease, and Central Sensitization Syndrome just to round it all out. I’ve been walking with a cane since I was 20. Everyone in my Like keeps trying to make me try opioids but I’m allergic to every kind (I get coated in hives). 

This wont be of much help, since I’m inly just about to turn 22 and haven’t had my diagnoses for a while (though I’ve dealt with the pain since I was 15), hopefully you know someone understands your pain 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @samstone and a warm welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing this and I am sorry it took you so long to receive your diagnosis. Like you I started experiencing chronic pain when I was 15 years old and I started using a stick when I was 18, I also was diagnosed at a later age.

I hope you are able to have a look around and get involved with threads and that you find the community supportive.

Please let me know if we can do anything to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness