Thinking about going back into education...... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thinking about going back into education......

markf87
markf87 Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
So been thinking for a while now that I'd like to finish my BA in Graphic Design and then do a Masters. I currently have an FDA in Graphic design
I didn't go on to get a BA at the time due to pressure from my family and telling me I needed to get a job / Also my health conditions stopped me from pursuing things further. The other option is to study something completely different - I'd like to do a course in Japanese :D

So i guess theres a few questions........

* Benefits.... what would happen to these?
PIP
ESA - currently a joint claim with severe disability (for me)
Carers - My partner gets this.
Housing benefit & council tax support

I've read about applying for DSA etc theres quite a lot to take in..... would it be best speaking to the university I'm wanting to apply to?
Also am I eligible to apply for a new student loan having previously studied?

Sorry its long winded, hopefully someone can shed some light on things :)

thanks in advance 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Do it. It is never too late! What do you want to study? It should not affect your benefits.
    You can also find more information here 
    https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/individual-needs/disabled-students
    Call your local college or university to find out more. 
  • markf87
    I'd like to study more design but doing a degree in Japanese would be amazing!

Thanks for the link I'll definitely check it out! 
  • April2018mom
    What about a language like French? 
  • markf87
    What about a language like French? 
    French bores me. Gotta be Japanese I love it! Already do evening courses on it. Would like to do a degree next.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @markf87, Japanese would be a great language to learn, it's definitely one I've always considered. 

With regards to your query:
    PIP and Carer's Allowance aren't means-tested so studying and any potential student finance won't affect these, so as long as you and your partner still meet the criteria for these, they won't change. 

Income-related ESA, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can all be affected by student finance and I'd recommend giving the Disabled Students Helpline a call: https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @markf87, both very different course options!

In terms of DSA, it is easier if you have a confirmed university place before you fill this out. It is also something that comes up while you are doing your student finance if you state you have a disability.

The form is just about showing how studying may affect you and then the evidence of disability.

When they have received the form you will be ask to attend an assessment. However, the people assessing you want to get you support and it is their job to justify this to student finance.

It can be non-medical support like a notetaker or someone to help you manage your time, or they can also provide you with equipment and software. This can include: ergonomic desk chairs, keyboards, Dictaphone, mindmap and dictation software, laptop stand... anything that will make studying easier!

I hope this helps :)
    Scope

• markf87
    Thanks will look into this :)

going to email them first as I'm having a bad day and can't deal with phone calls as I can't see the person - Sounds weird I know but I like to see body language and facial expressions to help me process things.
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's understandable! We'll be here if you need anything else! :)
    Scope

• markf87
    Off to Sheffield Hallam this afternoon to talk to head of graphic design :smile: to see the place and look at getting me starting next year hopefully
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's great @markf87! I really hope it goes well, that all sounds really positive. :) 
    Scope

• markf87
    That's great @markf87! I really hope it goes well, that all sounds really positive. :) 
    Well been too see the head of graphic design and it was really cool. They'd love to have me on the course Ideally 2 years...It's just a matter of funding etc so got to talk to student finance and see what they say for now.
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's brilliant @markf87! I hope you get on well with student finance. Let us know how it goes. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • markf87
    That's brilliant @markf87! I hope you get on well with student finance. Let us know how it goes. :)
    Spoke to student finance and they were really helpful. I can apply for funding when it comes around again, I think it'll be January and I'll also get help with living costs and DSA.

My partner is 100% behind me for doing the course.... I just want to discuss things with my mental health doctor and an ESA advisor.

I was slightly apprehensive after visiting as a load of thoughts came into my mind about money and how we would cope and what if the DWP decided to take my PIP off me and I loose my car etc but that could happen even if I wasn't studying so I'd still be in the same position.

So at the moment things are go go go......... Hopefully things work out.

I'll keep everyone informed how I get on through this thread :smile:
  • April2018mom
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @markf87. It's great you're being so sensible with this and discussing it with your mental health doctor as well.

With regards to PIP and the DWP etc, as you said those things could happen either way, so you shouldn't let that worry hold you back from perusing something you want! 
    I can't wait to hear how you get on and I really and look forward to reading any future updates. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    This is all sounding really positive @markf87, thank you for updating us! I'm really excited for you and look forward to hearig all about it! :)
    Scope

Brightness