raised toilet seat — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

raised toilet seat

tracey58
tracey58 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
hi
is a raised toilet seat an aid, also is a dosset bix,and i go to therapy weekly
di these count
please

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A raised toilet seat is an aid and would score 2 points for toilet needs. Dosset box is and aid and would score just 1 point.

Therapy is only considered if it's taken place at home. If you go outside your home for the appointment then it's not considered and you won't score any points for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tracey58
    thank you poppy,i lost my daiky living by 1 point,so i have now gained 3 points x
  • tracey58
    poppy  i an still frightened to do a change,altho my consultant is fully backing me,
  • tracey58
    would you mind if i showed you the letter he wrote me.
  • tracey58
    edited September 2019
  • poppy123456
    @tracey58 all your personal information is showing in the above comment and this is against Scopes rules. I have reported this to admin will hopefully remove what you posted above, to protect your identity.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @tracey58.

I’ve cropped and edited your images to remove your name, address and NHS number, while leaving the main content that I believe you wanted to share. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • tracey58
    ty adrian and poppy
  • poppy123456
    My opinion is that it will totally depend on the waiting list for the hip replacement and how long recovery will take. For PIP the condition must be expected to last at least 9 months. Surgery is usually done to help improve your quality of life. I'm sure others will comment when they see this.
  • tracey58
    ty poppy,but i also have a  lot if other disabilities,in my oersonal circumstances i had2 hipswhich were both bad,so i am still not over the first replacement,and have been living day to day fir several years 
  • poppy123456
    I've just read your other thread and see it's about putting in a change of circumstances for a worsening of condition. My advice is still the same, they will look at your whole award again and send you more forms. You'll most likely need another face to face assessment as most people have them.

It's always risky putting in a change of circumstances because you could lose everything you already have. It could also stay the same or be increased but no one can tell you that for sure.

Even though you were 1 point short last time on the daily living award, they look at your whole award again and re-assess you so there's no guarantee you'll score points for the same descriptors this time.

It's impossible to advise you further on an internet forum because no one knows exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

• tracey58
    ty,i do realise all this,and appreciate yourtime 
    ty
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    I dont know how rulings are typically done on the 9 months duration.  But my personal view is upcoming treatment (especially surgery) should not be counted as "expected improvement", the only way I would consider someone able to say with reasonable confidence something wouldnt last 9 months is either is the patient themselves has confirmed that its a very short term problem, or if a steady improvement is already happening at the time of assessment.

I can confirm my raised toilet seat got me two points, I was asked how I got the aid tho, of which I confirmed was from my OT.  So they do need to decide that you "need" the aid rather than out of choice.
  • tracey58
    worried33worried33 said:
    I dont know how rulings are typically done on the 9 months duration.  But my personal view is upcoming treatment (especially surgery) should not be counted as "expected improvement", the only way I would consider someone able to say with reasonable confidence something wouldnt last 9 months is either is the patient themselves has confirmed that its a very short term problem, or if a steady improvement is already happening at the time of assessment.

I can confirm my raised toilet seat got me two points, I was asked how I got the aid tho, of which I confirmed was from my OT.  So they do need to decide that you "need" the aid rather than out of choice.
    ty,the raised toilet seat with habdrails was from the ot,alsoa commode,i still use both of these items,i am also waiting to have a shelf seat across the bath and 2 handrais fir support
    i have also been in constant pain since the operation,and have suffered depression and receive medication and therapy,i am at my limit with painkillers and also have 
    af
    nervous disability
    hyperyension
    anxiety

• poppy123456
    Therapy is only considered if it takes place at your home. If it's an appointment anywhere else then it's not considered.

The only person that can decide what to do is yourself because no one knows how your conditions affect you. All we can do is advise on the process and the risks involved when reporting a worsening of condition. Good luck what ever you decide.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.