Dla to pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dla to pip

Options
teresa29
teresa29 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have just had my result of home visit face to face (I didn't request this by the way) I found the assessor to be very patronising, I had a counsellor who I have been seeing sit in on the interview and she agreed. From the start when she asked my counsellor her name she replied and went on to say her occupation and that she had been seeing me for 6 months....she was stopped and told..."I only asked your name"....she then started asking me about everything I had put on my form, I originally got dla after a back accident 12 years ago, since then I have had a stroke,  have trochanteric bursitis in each hip, osteoperosis and osteopenia, bronchiectasis which means I use a nebuliser twice Dailly with antibiotics and nebuliser with saline when required, and 2 inhalors I take 14 tablets in morning and 12 at night I also wear morphine patches for pain. I have a mobility car and had lower rate dla for care. She asked me to do simple exercises which I refused to do. I told her when I get an infection it's my responsibility to put a specimen into my GP before 10am so it can be sent to labs to find out which antibiotic I need.it told her I had been referred to a counselor as my moods were very low due to the repeated health problems, she in turn sent me to a health psychologist who seems to be helping me a bit.I got my letter today and I have been awarded standard for both care and mobility which means I'll lose my car. In the report she has stated the things I need help with and the nebuliser is not even mentioned! She pointed out I was at ease walking about my house...I took 4 steps from my chair to the hall then 3 steps to the front door! She said lots more things I disagree with ..as did my counsellor. She asked how I would get someplace if I wasn't familiar with the route, I said I'd ask someone to come with me and if not I wouldn't go. She has agreed I can walk 20 meters but no further than 50 meters but said I CAN plan a journey and do it, so no points...I dont know how I'll get to drs/hospital/dentist appointments as my bus stop is 15 min walk away from my house....for a fit person...I am asking for a MR but feel as low as a snakes belly and wonder what the future holds for me if I am housebound...please help...

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you're claiming for physical conditions then you won't score any points for following and planning a journey. You would score points for the moving around part of mobility which is different criteria to what DLA was.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those. They will only be interested in where you think you should have scored those points. Any complaints should be sent to the health assessment providers.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

Before requesting the MR i'd advise you to get some face to face advice because no one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award by requesting the MR. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • teresa29
    Options
    Thanks for reading, I know it's got to be the mobility part I've to question, although I don't agree with everything said with the care results it's a result that I'm happy to accept, I need to see if how the  mental health part and anxiety of planning a journey and going should be pointed out to DM and yes I can think of a few episodes where I THOUGHT I was ok going to but got hopelessly lost ending up in tears and just about turned the car and went home! 
  • teresa29
    Options
    Thank you for reading. ..I think I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the comments the assessor made I'm getting a meeting next week with WR and my counsellor     hopefully they can help me put my points across better for the MR x
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @teresa29 - if the assessor was patronising then there is no excuse for that...

As others have advised it would be a good idea to look at the PIP descriptors carefully so that you know exactly what's involved..

.Only you know how your condition affects you but in relation to planning a journey you say "I dont know how I'll get to drs/hospital/dentist appointments as my bus stop is 15 min walk away from my house" which seems to suggest that you can plan which bus to get, how to get to the stop etc.

If this isn't the case it might be worth clarifying this when you ask for MR...

Good luck
  • jaktag
    jaktag Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Teresa i am going thru the same i had a face to face for PIP after been on DLA high rate  for care  and high rate mobility for 25 years as i have MS.

The report i received suggests i will get standard for both.So we loose the car.i want to appeal it i really do but i don't have the strength to appeal.So i think if my award is standard for both as the report suggests then i will just have to accept it and at least i am getting something.

I could not believe the blatant lies she put on my report.She said i wont ask you to do any walking as you look done in...she put on the report i refused to walk for her!!!!!!

she says i can walk 50 metres which i cant at all,i can not walk at all outdoors i can only wall walk in the house.

I have always just got on with my MS but just getting on with it does not do us any favours.We are just made out to be liars and scroungers.My late husband worked until  the week before he died and never had time off sick all his working life.It makes me sick that we are treat like this its disgusting.I don't know how these so called assessors get away with it i really don't.Something needs to change and soon.I don't know how they sleep at night.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.