PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision

Options
Moonlight19881
Moonlight19881 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I have moderate learning difficulties and I have applied for PIP. I saw a letter yesterday from them saying their decision and it was a NO. It does says that I can apply the decision but am not sure if i should because I don't want to get rejected again. What do you think I should do and what would be the next step?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

As you've been refused your next step is to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) and you have 1 month to request this. You should put it in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Send relevant evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal.

I wouldn't advise you to just re-apply because to constantly re-apply using the same evidence you previously used will very likely see another refusal. MR/Tribunal is always the best option.

I'd advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Moonlight19881 and a very warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry you didn't get the outcome you had hoped for.

Here is some information about how to appeal, but please do let us know if you need anything explaining.

Do you have someone who'd be able to help you appeal and attend the appointment with you?

Please let us know how you get on and I wish you the best of luck!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.