Tips and hints for PIP Assessments. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tips and hints for PIP Assessments.

Options
jackie005
jackie005 Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
edited August 2019 in Research and opportunities
My son has his F2F PIP Assessment today. I found this site really helpful and easy to use..http://pip-assessment.support/#about-pip

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Some more tips information, Hello and welcome, Firstly filling in the application form giving as much detail how the applicants illnesses, disability affect their daily lives in relation to the PIP descriptors. Suppling up to date medical and supportive evidence that will comfirm you abilities to or not meet the PIP descriptors. Keep copies of any information documents reports evidence you send to DWP as sometimes they get lost or mislaid. On or at your assessment t if you need or use aids use them don’t just give yes or no answers let the acessor re ask the questions to allow you to answer describing why you can or cannot do the descriptors being decused, in reference to the physical examination do not do any movements that cause you pain discomfort or aggregate your condition. Be aware of the memory games they play being able to remember things from your past will indicate to the acessor your mental state even though your just talking about things which have nothing to do with the current part of the assessment . Be aware there are CCVTs outside and in and around the the assessment center, the acessor know the distances from the nearest car parks, bus stop waiting rooms to their assessment office so if yo can walk from the bus stop or car park or easily from the waiting room to the office these distances will be noted and recorded. And lastly having had your Face to a Face assessment about a week afterwards ring DWPmand request a copy of your assessment report which takes about 14 days to arrive one requested. On receiving it you can and should be able to work out what your award may, should be as the decmakers at DWP usually go with the assessment report, but you still have to wait for the official award letter notification. If it’s not what you expect then having the report early has given you time to prepare starments ready for submission for an MR which has to be made with 30 days of receding the award letter can be done by phone but best followed up by a postal request.

• jackie005
    jackie005 Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Options

Apologies for long posting. re my sons PIP assessment today.  Firstly, I learnt this today from the SCOPE community website............................. 'And lastly having had your Face to a Face assessment about a week afterwards ring DWP and request a copy of your assessment report which takes about 14 days to arrive once requested. On receiving it you can and should be able to work out what your award may, should be as the dec-makers at DWP usually go with the assessment report, but you still have to wait for the official award letter notification' from https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/257717#Comment_257717

We arrived 10 minutes early today for my adult sons F2F PIP Assessment at 2.30 p.m. The previous client with walking cane was just leaving and I had to help her open the very heavy doors so she could exit. The Assessor came out to explain that her previous Client's assessment had taken longer than expected and she now had to write up her report which would take at least and hour or longer (2.30-4 p.m) She went onto say my son's assessment would then take another hour and his report would take her at least another hour to write up and as she finished work at 5 p.m. there wouldn't be enough time for her to complete my sons assessment so we needed to make another appointment. I was not happy as this is exactly what happened when my son had his ESA review and told her so, I said we would come back in a hour to see how things were going with her writing her report on her previous client.

We returned an hour later and the Assessor told us she was less than half way through her report on her previous client and we needed to make another appointment. I said the same thing could happen at another appointment, she said yes it could because the appointments were made via another office and the problem was the other office didn't allow time for reports to be written. She said she was very sorry but there was nothing she could do.

I told her it was most unfortunate because I would be writing a review for some disability sites and had hoped to be able to write something positive. I also said another appointment would take at least a couple of weeks (and using the tip/hint from the SCOPE site) said 'and after my sons assessment it would be 14 days before I would be able to request a copy of her report' and then several weeks before he got a decision which most likely we would have to appeal.

I also said that among other Disability Groups I also belonged to a group campaigning to have PIP Assessments stopped altogether for life-long disabilities which so far has reached almost 150,000 signatures. She said she agreed the the stoppage of such assessments.

I then told her we needed her to make another appointment and it must be first thing in the morning to avoid the same thing happening again because my son had been up all night worrying and would be in a constant state of anxiety until the appointment. She asked us to go into her office and she would call Independent Assessment Services on loud speaker so I could hear the conversation. Another appointment has now been scheduled for 9 a.m. 22nd August but it will be with a different Assessor. 

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    what a rediculous state of affairs. This surely would give you the right to a home visit. Did you not want a home visit or did it not cross your mind to request one?
    Why should your son, who suffered great anxiety in the time leading up to the assessment, have to go through all this again?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh @jackie005 how stressful for you and your son. I am so sorry to hear this happened.

This is from the Independent Assessment Services website on how to make a complaint:

How to make a complaint

If you’d like to make a complaint in writing, the feedback form within our How to make suggestions, comments and complaints leaflet will help you to include all the information we need to be able to look at your issue properly. Please remember to tell us your National Insurance number.

Alternatively, you can contact our Customer Service Team on 0800 188 4880 (North of England & Scotland) or 0800 188 4881 (Southern England).

Getting help making a complaint 

The staff at our Consultation Centres are trained to help you raise an issue. However, if you feel more comfortable asking somebody independent to make a complaint for you, you can speak to:

• a friend or family member
    • Citizens Advice
    • Welfare Rights 

Please note that we can only respond to one of the people above if we have your written consent to do so. 

Returning the feedback form at the back of this leaflet is the easiest way to give your consent, or you can give us a signed letter instead.

A step-by-step guide to our complaint process

If you decide you want to make a complaint, it’s important to understand the process we use to address any problems you might have. Here’s how it works:

1. We receive your complaint and register it on our computer systems
    2. Your allocated Case Officer will write to you to let you know we have received your complaint (within 2 working days)
    3. We take all complaints seriously and review every one. We aim to respond to your complaint within 20 working days, including those we need to investigate in more detail. However, should our investigations take longer, you will be kept up to date by letter
    4. You will be sent a Final Response letter, complete with the Case Officer’s phone number. If you are satisfied with our response then no further action is required
    5. If you disagree with our response please contact your Case Officer to tell us why you think we are wrong. A Senior Manager will then review your case to see if anything has been missed and start a further investigation if appropriate
    6. If we decide that no further investigation is required, we will write to you to confirm our decision
    7. Should you still be unhappy, we will send you a letter detailing what you can do next – this includes information on how to contact the Independent Case Examiner (ICE)

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • tees
    tees Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi I have just lost my mobility car 
    I was born with arthritis its in all my joints  my big toes and thumbs  do not bend I have difficulties doing every day things and walking can't cook can't wash ECT 
    I'm just about to do a mandatory but don't know how to do it and could do with some help

I did get DLA  for life I went through a  physical medical to get this and yet this pip all they did was ask me a few questions as me to walk no more than 2 metrs in my own home that is adapted for me 
    There decision was I had full power in my arms but little in my legs my answer is to this it not power I have a problem with its my joints that are damaged and are disintegrating making doing every day normal things out of my reach 

Can anybody please help me 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    tees said:
    Hi I have just lost my mobility car 
    I was born with arthritis its in all my joints  my big toes and thumbs  do not bend I have difficulties doing every day things and walking can't cook can't wash ECT 
    I'm just about to do a mandatory but don't know how to do it and could do with some help

I did get DLA  for life I went through a  physical medical to get this and yet this pip all they did was ask me a few questions as me to walk no more than 2 metrs in my own home that is adapted for me 
    There decision was I had full power in my arms but little in my legs my answer is to this it not power I have a problem with its my joints that are damaged and are disintegrating making doing every day normal things out of my reach 

Can anybody please help me 
    Question is answered here on this thread that you posted on https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/35839/lost-my-dla-just-get-basic-pip#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.