Assessment wait times — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment wait times

1Newbridge
1Newbridge Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
Hi
Im a newbie here, presently transition from lifetime DLA to Pip.
I received my claim pack and after a 4 week extension sent it off to DWP, I have requested a home assessment aware these are rare. 
Im wondering the wait times for F2F here in north Devon?
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It really depends on backlog in your area and it can be anything from a couple of weeks to a few months, sometimes longer. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on your PIP claim.

Did you send evidence to support your claim with the form? They rarely contact anyone for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 1Newbridge
    Hi.
    many Thanks for your reply.
    I sent confirmation MRI , biology blood reports etc. I have tons but filtered it down to relevant issues, along with physiatrist report.
    had to dictate my replies to descriptors using Mac app. Printed off labelled with page index NI number and name. Sent recorded and had confirmation txt from DWP that it all had been received.
    Ive heard down here it can be months for a home F2F. ?
    I have been classed as vulnerable by DWP will that have a bearing on home assessment?
    many thanks
  • poppy123456
    Waiting times can be months for any assessment. Being classed as vulnerable doesn't automatically entitle you to a home assessment. Assessments are nothing to do with DWP, it's the health assessment providers that arrange the assessments.

It's possible you may need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre and if you attend other appointments that can go against you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 1Newbridge
    I see Thankyou.
    my condition Relapsing Transverse myelitis and varracella encephalitis has been parked by NHS after 2.5 years of physical therapy and Occupational therapy, I’m as good as I’m going to get so no medical appointments apart from GP and CBT.I have aphasia , struggle with verbal and written communication I am really concerned that a F2F assessor will not be patient enough to get my point across.
    My GP has helped lots, after helping me with the forms, she felt we put enough information together explaining why my conditions warrant a home assessment. Conversely I feel an assessment at a centre and all the stress will really highlight my issues, which get much worse with anxiety or a viral infection.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    A home assessment won't vary much from one done away from the home accept that you will have to travel and be outside your "comfort" zone, it would be an idea to have someone with you be it at home or not, although they won't be able to do/say much.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Filling out the form with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you, was your chance to put your point across.

Very often during the assessment there isn't enough of time to tell them everything you need to, which is the reason why it should all be put on the form. The assessment is only to verify what you wrote and for the HCP to ask any additional questions.

There's a lot of people that have conditions that will never improve but they still have to have assessments.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

I agree with woodbine, there's no difference between a home assessment and one in a centre, they are both just as stressful. You're still watched from the minute they/you arrive to the minute you leave.

If you have an appointee they will be able to speak for you otherwise you'll need to answer all the questions yourself.
  • 1Newbridge
    Hi.
    again thanks for your replies.
    we spent ages doing and applying day to day struggles I have into my claim. Hopefully I have given enough examples of life post encephalitis. I’m lucky my GP has offered to accompany me for assessment, and I have my partner who is my carer he knows the situation well.
    I have saved all my questions and responses inc examples , I will take some time and go through them . Hopefully it’ll be over soon.?
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    According to certain reports home assessments are much easier to get in capita areas vs atos.  If you have a valid reason they should grant the home assessment.
  • poppy123456
    Devon is an ATOS area.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    doesnt bode well then.
  • stratos
    stratos Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Hi, I too live in the North Devon area and as Poppy said it is definitely an Independent Assessment Services (ATOS) area. Not much help probably but I rang PIP in early June, received forms mid July and sent them off end of July. I didnt hear anything from anyone so on 13th Sept (Fri) I rang PIP and was given the number of IAS. I rang them and they looked at claim and said "can you come in on Monday (16th). Worked out really well as I only had the weekend to "stress" about it. Good luck and hope you hear something soon.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @1Newbridge! I hope it is a smooth process for you. If there is anything else we can do to help then please do let me know!
    Scope

• 1Newbridge
    Many Thanks for all your responses & warm welcome too.
    Im going to settle that assessment maybe a few weeks away , if it drags on I will call and chase them up.
    Its just stressful waiting for the unknown .
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all! 
    Scope

• 1Newbridge
    Hi All.
    merry & peaceful Xmas wishes to all?
    Update.
    claim received by DWP 4/09/19
    I received a home visit 19/12/19. After going through the questions, took over 2 hours ☹️With Health assessor, before she left she said it would be 6 to 8 weeks before a decision would be made.
    This morning I got a txt from DWP informing me they have received assessment report. 
    My question is does that txt signify decision could be faster then 6/8 weeks, or just a standard txt?
    Seems to go on forever, invite to move from DLA arrived mid June.. my nerves & health are shredded..? 
  • poppy123456
    That will be a standard text they send everyone once they receive the report. There's no timescales for any decision. Backlogs will increase even more now because of the Christmas and new year closing days.

You can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP.
  • 1Newbridge
    Hi
    many Thanks... will get Christmas out of the way & call them for report?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.