Amputee — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Amputee

Options
Lincolnian
Lincolnian Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone....
My name is Richard, but everyone knows me as Ian my, middle name.
I live in Lincoln and I’m 55
The reason I joined this site is because I’m a double leg Amputee, above the knee for both legs.
Im willing to chat and get advice that could help me, also give advice if anyone needs it.
I struggle to get my shorts off and on in my wheelchair and for now I try to only use my home toilet I need shorts that open down the sides but can’t find any.
well that’s me, I won’t be provided with Prothestics, I’ve been told my (stumps) legs won’t take the pressure, which is sad really, so Im wheelchair bound for life, hopefully I get to know people on here.
Love
Ian

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Ian, welcome! I`m sorry to hear your aren`t going to be able to get prosthetics. Had you hoped you would? How long have you been disabled?

I`ve been a full time wheelie for around 18 years. My legs just dont work!

Do you know anyone who can make you some opening side shorts? Velcro might be the answer.

Maybe try by cutting down a pair of trousers and adding velcro strips.

take care x
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Lincolnian
    I found these side opening boxer shorts, would these be helpful?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Lincolnian
    Options
    Pollyanna..... I’ve got a left leg prosthetic, but I’ve been banned from using it and they told me no more allowed, I had Artery blockages behind both knees they took Arteries out of both stumps when they were legs, and They now don’t think my stumps will handle Prosthetics, I’ve always wanted to walk again, I lost my left leg in 2017 and my right January this year, my altering skills are non existent and I know my friends are too

Im lucky though, I’ve had Sepsis 4 times in 2 years, lost 2 legs but lived.

Sam....... I don’t like my stumps, they got known as Zig and Zag in Hospital, I’m not sure if boxer shorts would cover them
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lincolnian I wonder if the following website would be helpful: https://www.clothingsolutions.org.uk/ It looks like they can either make or adapt your own clothing. Welcome, & thank you for saying a little about yourself.

• Sam_Alumni
    Options

Im lucky though, I’ve had Sepsis 4 times in 2 years, lost 2 legs but lived.

You have really been through it @Lincolnian - are you getting any support at the minute? Both financially and emotionally to deal with the loss of your legs and changes to your life?
    Scope
  • Lincolnian
    Options
     Chiarieds..... I will take a look at that site Thank You

Sam..... I haven’t got any Therapy help, I chose to stay positive, there are sad times though, and I try to be active, I have 3 carers a day, they get my food, sort my meds and give me eye drops for cataract surgery, my social worker has signed me off now, financially ESA have stopped my money and are taking it to court for a second time, they reinstated it the first time, so it seems pointless, and I’m still getting PIP, I can’t apply for Super Disability because my Eldest son moved back in with me, but he’s out most of the time
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    Staying positive is great though we all need some help sometimes. How are you getting on @Lincolnian ?
    Scope

Brightness