housing inspection and mental illness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

housing inspection and mental illness

lainie69_
lainie69_ Community member Posts: 4 Connected
edited September 2019 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hi, I am due a housing inspection by the local council guy, my son has agoraphobia and gets so stressed over these visits. his room os cluttered but he isn't up to throwing anything away at the moment as he has bipolar, depression, autism and agoraphobia and that is his 'safe place' is there any rule or law where he can be excused from the check please? I just cancelled the appointment for today but they just rebooked for in 2 weeks. I have no idea if his mood will be any better and don't want to be chucked out for not having my inspection but then my son gets so stressed and paces all night long keeping his sister awake and she has work next morning . we have lived here 34 years x

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lainie69_
    Welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this situation.
    I don't have a lot of experience in housing issues, but you could either do a webchat with Shelter (a housing charity) or give their helpline a call on 0808 800 4444 and they may have more information for you. You can also use this tool to find your nearest Housing information centre.

Have you spoken to the council inspection team about your concerns?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • lainie69_
    hi, thank you for the quick reply , i have spoken to the housing guy but he is more concerned with getting his inspection done than my problems. I have fibromyalgia and he rushed me to clear the clutter in my house despite me having to take my codeine with tramadol and it caused heart palpitations just so I could force my body to get the clearing done . I don't think he has much sympathy at all x 

• Sam_Alumni
    Oh I am sorry to hear this @lainie69_
    Is the clutter something that you are struggling with? Do you get any support? I'm just wondering if you could do with a little help in managing your home? 
    I wonder if you could email the housing team so you can explain fully about your concerns and ask them how they could support you in this situation?
    Scope
  • lainie69_
    hi, thank you for your reply , I cleared the clutter and still follow the rule where if i bring an item in I try to take at least one item/bag of clutter out. I got praised for sorting it and I no longer have the support of my 'clutter lady' who used to pop in, suggest the next section then check up a few weeks later,  I cant have anyone in to help because my son gets stressed at the thought of strangers coming in. He is convinced they want to spy or section him or plant a bugging device or something like that (he has paranoia)  We was told once the last inspection was done it would be the final one and they'd leave us alone but that was 2 years ago and we are now due another one :(  x 

• Sam_Alumni
    That must be so stressful for you. Well done on getting on top of it with your clutter lady! That's a great achievement, I'm sorry I cant help with the legalities of whether you can avoid the inspections. Do try Shelter who may have more expertise though.
    Scope
  • lainie69_
    will do, thank you. xx

Brightness