Hello. I have been contacted about possible back pay regarding ESA (income-related) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello. I have been contacted about possible back pay regarding ESA (income-related)

Options
ORLIOUS
ORLIOUS Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, there.

As some are you are probably aware, the DWP is contacting people about possible backpay in regards to income-related ESA.

The duration between the dates specified on my letter equals 172 weeks and 6 days, between the years 2012 to 2015.

The DWP records say that I was on contribution-based ESA at the time though during that period, I should have been on income-related ESA.

At the time, I was living with my now ex partner and we are both registered blind, having met at the royal national college for the blind years before.

I am not sure if my partner was or was not on her correct ESA claim too as it was quite a few years back now.

I know we were in receipt of DLA, both being on the top rates of care and mobility.

We had no substantial savings (at least none that infringed upon the DWP rules) but we were in a shared ownership.

And I understand that the DLA rates have a bearing on the premiums of income-related ESA.

I really can't recall during the time if the DWP classed us as a couple even though they should have, as this too has a bearing on the amount of money that might be backdated.

I have been trying to figure out what back pay (if any) that I may be entitled to, but it's proving to be a little bit over my head as I scour archived benefit rates, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,652 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Orlious

Citizen Advice 
    should be able to help; they probably have a spreadsheet that those sort of calculations. Just give them the years and what info you have and see where it takes you.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

It will totally depend on your circumstances at the time of those dates and what benefits your partner was claiming. I'm afraid it's impossible to help you without knowing your exactly details, which isn't possible on an internet forum.

You either need to wait for DWP to assess you or take all of your paper work and speak to an advice agency face to face.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ORLIOUS and a warm welcome to the community! Unfortunately this is very dependent on your individual situation and would be very hard for us to advise. You could use face to face through AdviceLocal.

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• nannie234
    nannie234 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    hello every one like rest its so confusing  what they owe us letter sent back then had phone call from some one else at dwp to say they have noticed my hubby should not of had claim shut down he was incorrectly took of it I then had to add him to my income support claim to which now found out he should of still been on esa claim still  he was on incapacity then swapped over  to esa before they stopped his claim I was on carer with income support top up at time both on dla he was high rate for both I was low rate care full mobility  looking back on bank statements he got 210 per two weeks I got carer allowance plus income support top up plus the  dla  we both got any one on here know what he or we both should of been entiled to  both still dla well he now pip but still same amount still on income support of 244 for 2 weeks for couple claim kinds regards if any one can help me sorry his claim for esa was wrongly shut down in 2014 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I'm afraid he will need to wait for DWP to assess his claim between the dates stated. It's far too complicated to give a specific answer on an internet forum. Once DWP have made a decision they will send him a decision letter.

Other than that he could take all of his paper work and speak to an advice agency near you and they will help him further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.