What benefits do I keep or lose after government pension age reached — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits do I keep or lose after government pension age reached

Options
mollss
mollss Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I wonder if you can answer a question for me.
My husband is due to retire and receive his government pension.
At the moment he receives
ESA,  (income related)
Industrial Injuries @ 20%
Care Component (lower rate)
A works pension
Can you please tell me if any or all of these benefits will be stopped or replaced with a different one when he receives his government pension.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,063 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If he's the main claimant of the ESA then this will stop because it's a working age benefit. All the rest will continue. Pension credit rules have changed and whether he'll be entitled to this will depend on both of your circumstances.

It would be worth speaking to a local advice agency for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mollss
    mollss Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you we would not be entitled to pension credit as my husband gets a works pension. Thank you so much for your advice

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,063 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. I'm assuming DWP know about the pension and industrial injuries benefit because both of these will reduce the amount of Income Related ESA £1 for £1.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.