Emergency pull cords in disabled toilets! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Emergency pull cords in disabled toilets!

g1gop
g1gop Community member Posts: 17 Connected
We had to stop at a motorway services (stafford) and this is where the pull cord was situated in the cubicle:

This is ridiculous to reach especially if you are having problems. So I emailed the customer service address and sent this:

Sir, As a disabled person who has to use the accessible toilets, I wish to complain about the insane positioning of the emergency pull cord. Please see attached pictures.

The idea is that if some one feels ill/needs assistance/falls on the floor, they can grab the cord from either sat on the loo OR from falling on the floor. I would like the person who designed the layout to just try grabbing that cord even just from sitting on the loo!!

You need to twist right around and hunt behind the sanitary bin to grab the cord.Now imagine if you are disabled. i.e. restricted in movement. Let alone have felt ill and pos fallen on the floor.

This unfortunately all too often with the placing of such cords. At least these have not been cut short as often happens and does reach to the floor.

The emergency cord can be likened to a smoke alarm. You hope you never use it. But when you do it had better be easy AND work!!

BTW it just operates a red light outside the door. Are the staff trained to keep an eye out for such alarm? Having fallen once in a loo I can assure you that it scares the hell out of you waiting for some one to come to your aid!

I would be grateful if this could be seen to.

Kind Regards

Alan Abbott

This is the 'brush off' I got back!:

Dear Mr Abbot,

Thank you for your feedback about our toilets, I am sorry you found issue with the placing of the red pull cord. It is my understanding that the cord is positioned as per building standard guidelines.

I have asked my cleaning supervisor to ensure his team move the sanitary bins away from the cord to improve access.
My staff are aware of the red light and the alarm when the cord is pulled, and have been instructed to get the duty manager if the need arises, so I am confident if there was in issue help would not be too far away.
Thank you once again for your time and feedback we hope to see you again in the future.
Kind regards
Craig Salvidge
General Manager - Stafford North | Moto Hospitality ltd
P: 01785 811188

So I sent:

Dear Mr Salvidge,

Please go and TRY using that cord!!

Then remember that an infirm and probably ill person needs to doit!

I have passed the pictures and emails onto Scope.

Kind Regards

Alan Abbott

Whilst at least the pull cord was there, unlike this one:

It is insane that such an important thing is often a waste of space!
What is your experience with them?
Alan

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this @g1gop. I had to use one last year when we were at a local pub and my son was unwell. They are useful! 
  • g1gop
    Perhaps a few emails to him? lol
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @g1gop, thank you for sharing this with us! It must have been frustrating to see this, and obviously concerning if you would have needed assistance.
    Scope

• g1gop
    Thanks. It is so frustrating that these people have the attitude that 'well it meets regs'. NOT can it actually be used!!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I appreciate that, it's almost doing the bare minimum!
    Scope

• siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    Euans Guide has cards you can attach to badly placed or tucked away cords. I've seen cords that are like this and then they have purchased a second cord and tied it onto the trianglw so it reaches the floor, like an extension on the one that was too short. This works and costs next to nothing. In fact it's about £4 or less for a new cord and plastic part. I used to work in facilities management. If someone needing to use an accessible toilet told me that they need something to be a certain way I would just take it on board instead of brushing them off like that, because they probably know better than I do. £4 or someone stuck on a bathroom floor unable to seek help...
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Possibly @g1gop! We should also begin a petition as well. 
  • g1gop
    The response to my last reply: 
    Dear Mr Abbot,

Thank you for your reply and thank you for passing this onto Scope, I would welcome any feedback they have that would help us to serve you better in the future and look forward to their response.

kind regards
    Craig Salvidge
    General Manager - Stafford North | Moto Hospitality ltd
    P: 01785 811188

So Scope how about a response to the gentleman ???

Brightness