Confused by Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused by Universal Credit

Greg75
Greg75 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited September 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello , l am caring for my disabled husband however also work part time 16 hours and are looking at becoming his full time carer as he declines . We get housing benefit , child and working tax credits PIP both enhanced and carers allowance. What is the best advice in migrating over as worried it will be problematic.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Greg75
    Can I ask, is your husband currently claiming ESA at all? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Greg75
    Yes he is on Cont Based ESA since 2010
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Greg75

Do you have any specific questions? I'll try and break down a few of the key facts.

When you leave your job you'll be entitled to 4 weeks of Working Tax Credit.

After this, you'll lose entitlement to Working Tax Credit.

When you apply for Universal Credit, your tax credits will stop immediately. You'll receive a 2 week run-on of housing benefit then this will stop too. Your first Universal Credit payment will be 1 month and 7 days after the date you first apply. Any wages you get within this period will count towards your first UC payment and lower your entitlement (so it's best to apply after your final pay from work). It's also advisable to avoid applying towards the end of a month as if you return to employment, most jobs are paid near the end of the month and it runs the risk of two wages being counted in one assessment period. 

You can put your details into a benefit calculator which will show you how much you should receive. www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/calculate-your-benefits/

On Universal Credit you should receive:
    • Standard Couple Allowance
    • Child Allowance - for any eligible children, replacing child tax credit
    • Rent element - which replaces housing benefit
    • LCWRA - because your partner receives contrib-based support group ESA
    • Carers Element
    You'll then have deductions for:
    • Carer's Allowance
    • ESA
    You'll continue to receive Carer's Allowance, Child Benefit, PIP and Contrib-based ESA separately from your Universal Credit payment. 

I hope that wasn't too much information. If there's anything else you want to know or I haven't explained clearly enough, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Greg75
    Thank you so much it is appreciated . When is best to hand notice in since l was paid yesterday and every 25th of month 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    I'm sure you would need to work your notice and i would say for most employers that would be 1 month, you would need to check your contract to know for sure.

The sooner you hand your notice in the sooner you can finish.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Greg75
    It is so complicated plus worried about having no money coming in 
  • poppy123456
    Benefits are never easy to understand and much less so for UC. Do take into consideration Adrian's advice about when to claim UC because any money received during your assessment period after you end your job, will affect the amount of UC you'll receive that month.

When you do claim UC you can ask for an advance payment. This will need to be repaid back at a percentage from future UC payments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Greg75
    Thank you so as l was paid 2 days ago if l hand notice next week as can't work out when best to apply 
  • poppy123456
    My advice is to apply after you've received your final pay from work. If you apply before this then your wages will reduce your UC for that month.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Greg75 and I hope it all goes well for you!
    Scope

• Greg75
    I have checked and my cut off date for pay is mid month however they don't have exact date so if l resign now l will get paid in October 25th and the rest from cut off in November 25th 
  • poppy123456
    When you hand in your notice you'll need to find out when your final pay will be. Once you receive this, that will be the best time to claim UC.
  • Greg75
    Thanks what they said is we get paid 25th each month however payroll is mid month to mid month therefore from approx. 12, 13th or 14th of October which will be half way through my 4 weeks notice meaning there will be full pay on 25th October and approx. 10 days of pay on 25th November which l think will leave us short .
  • Greg75
    Just need to know when to do it l am so frightened 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2019
    You need to decide when to hand in your notice and then you can find out when your final pay will be. Without finding out any of this, it's impossible to help you further.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.