ESA Home Visit - Next Week — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Home Visit - Next Week

ss555
ss555 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi,

I have recieved a home visit letter for next week, which is the first for me either with for ESA or previously Incapacity Benefit.  This assessment I assume is a different from  the PIP assesment I had last year, to which I was awarded maximun points, as I suffer from paralysis and pain from Guillian Barre, and a few other conditions.

What sort of questions should I expect from this Doctor?,and what should I do or not do?, as I like others suffer from depression and anxiety, to which my levels have rocketed after recieving my letter. Looking back, my last written assesment dates back to 2014, so how have things changed from then?

Moreso I read and hear about  people like me or worse getting refused ESA, and if that were  to happen what would be next, as I live only on benefits, and my wife is my full time carer?

Apologies for bombarding you with so many questions, but my mind goes blank when high anxiety kicks in, and find it so difficult to function.  This has taken me an hour to type.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's the same so of thing as PIP but with different criteria. You will be assessed on your ability to do any type of work and they will asked you questions about your conditions and how they affect you on a typical day.

As far as the assessment process since your last one nothing has changed and the criteria for each of the groups remains the same. You've just been very lucky not to have be re-assessed since 2014. They can re-assess you anytime from 3 months.

Substantial risk regulation 29/35 explained here https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/resources/article/making-exception

During the assessment you'll be watched from the minute they arrive to when they leave. You will need to answer all the questions in your own words. Your wife maybe able to prompt you but it will depend on the assessor on the day. It may not be a Doctor, it could be an Occupational Therapist or a nurse.

Once the assessment has taken place wait a week then ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

The decision can either be Support Group, WRAG or fit for work. If it's the worst and you're found fit for work then your ESA will stop and you'll have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration. If this does happen then come back and i'm sure someone will advise you further. Hopefully, everything will be fine and you'll successfully be placed into one of the groups. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ss555
    Hi,

It's the same so of thing as PIP but with different criteria. You will be assessed on your ability to do any type of work and they will asked you questions about your conditions and how they affect you on a typical day.

As far as the assessment process since your last one nothing has changed and the criteria for each of the groups remains the same. You've just been very lucky not to have be re-assessed since 2014. They can re-assess you anytime from 3 months.

Substantial risk regulation 29/35 explained here https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/resources/article/making-exception

During the assessment you'll be watched from the minute they arrive to when they leave. You will need to answer all the questions in your own words. Your wife maybe able to prompt you but it will depend on the assessor on the day. It may not be a Doctor, it could be an Occupational Therapist or a nurse.

Once the assessment has taken place wait a week then ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

The decision can either be Support Group, WRAG or fit for work. If it's the worst and you're found fit for work then your ESA will stop and you'll have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration. If this does happen then come back and i'm sure someone will advise you further. Hopefully, everything will be fine and you'll successfully be placed into one of the groups. Good luck.

Thank for for by your help poppy123456, appointment is from 9:00 to 12:00 tomorrow, will look let you know how it went.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Best of luck today @ss555. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How was it @ss555? As Poppy mentioned before, if you wait a week you can call them up and request a copy of the assessment report. This should give you some indication as to the decision as it's rare for the decision makers to go against the report. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ss555
    edited September 2019
    The Doctor arrived after 12:00, so I had been waiting since 09:00, which as you know the longer the wait, the more tense I became.

She was very polite and clear in how the assessment would go. Went through my written application, and asked me a few questions, nothing too demanding or double sounding, as I imagined. 

Took about one and a half hours, which included having a break for a cup of tea, and me and my wife having a normal chat. 

She said I would be okay with nothing to worry about, with a decision in two weeks from her perspective. But could take upto six weeks..

We were complimented for our hospitality, and I feel less stressed, at her reassurance and positive feedback..
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad it went ok. However, the HCP doing the assessment shouldn't have said anything to you regarding any feedback of how it went. It's not their job to do that.

Wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in that report.

Decision times vary depending on backlog in your are but it could be anything from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Good luck and do let us know the outcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I imagine the wait wasn't very pleasant, but I'm glad it went okay @ss555. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.