mobility points — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mobility points

1984cathy
1984cathy Community member Posts: 29 Connected
i went to my PIP tribunal yesterday in burnley.The  tribunal opened with the chairman introducing the other 2 people,females, a doctor and i presume a DWP  person.The opening remark by the chairman was we are not part  of the DWP,but what they fail to tell you is they get paid  large amounts of money fso they must be getting paid from them this they will deny,In my mandatory report i filled out the forms with all the information i had.The Chairman in his opening address stated that they cannot discuss the mobility because i am over 65 years of age,What an under handed way to tell you this when is not mentioned on the PIP form.He stated that my illness /walking ability should have been reported earlier,before my 65 birthday,so why do you have to go yo all the trouble of purring in am appeal when you are told this.This is another way that the DWP operate.they also sent me every single page and letter of DLA/PIP i have filled in 333 pages.A majority of the pages are from when  I received DLA.I was sent the PIP new application a few weeks before my DLA  expired.I was 65 in 2017.Please if you are reading this please take note of  the 65 age limit ,you will fall into the same trap.I told the chairman that this is discrimination against the elderly and should make no difference in your 25 or 65 everyone should be treated the same.  

Comments

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    I'm sorry you weren't successful. Unfortunately it is true that the mobility can't be awarded after the age of 65. If mobility is awarded before 65, it can continue.

I think you misunderstood the panel. They are independent of the DWP and are certainly not funded by the DWP. They're funded by the justice system.

The panel is usually made up of a judge, a doctor and a disability member.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

May i just ask, was this a transfer from DLA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 1984cathy
    1984cathy Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    no Poppy when my DLA  finished i was asked to complete the new PIP application,I have been complaining   for a number of years about my walking ability but you may as well talk to a brick wall,they have had  consultant letters  x rays you name it they have had it.How can the DWP turn down factual evidence from a consultant .I have been for at least two Tribunals and they always reject my claim for enhanced mobility..I have cervical spondalosis ,problems with my neck.arthritus both hips ,fibromyalgia ,type 1 diabetes.Where does it state on the PIP application about once you reach 65 they will not accept  people like myself to claim the enhanced rate of mobility,i currently get standard rate.
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    I’m guessing they will have to change 65 to 66 soon as that will be the official retirement age and then to 67 in time...yes I bet they don’t either 
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    You can't make a new claim for PIP over 65. (Or have an award increased) You can continue claiming PIP over 65 if you've previously received it.

Attendance Allowance replaces PIP for new claims over 65. Attendance Allowance doesn't have a mobility component.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @1984cathy and a very warm welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear that you were unable to gain the enhanced mobility component of PIP, unfortunately if you are 65 years old or older then you would not be entitled to this if you previously didn't claim it.

If someone received standard rate mobility when they turned 65 years old, the highest possible award (regardless of mobility deteriorating) would be standard. I hope this makes sense.

If you have any further questions then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    The rules were exactly the same for DLA. You couldn't claim high rate mobility after state pension age, if you didn't previously have it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.