ESA underpayment - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA underpayment

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi guys I'm new to this forum . Sent forms back a month ago and have just call them . The lady said they are still on phase 1 cases and that mine will not be looked at till after that . Then will be another 12 weeks for processing so looks like it can take months ! 
    Hi,

Last i heard it was 12-20 weeks for a decision but it could be longer than that now.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @victoria28 and welcome to the community! I really hope you are not waiting much longer!

If there is anything we can do to help then please do let us know! :)
    Scope

• victoria28
    victoria28 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My forms have now been in 3 months , rang for update and were told phase 2 cases have begun and mine has moved to processing . I were told it will still be months to wait rather than weeks ! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I imagine that is very frustrating! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Sorry to hear this @niknac! When was the last time you rang up?
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @niknac. I'm sorry you're still waiting, it must be really frustrating. Hopefully it won't be too much longer now. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ciara55
    Ciara55 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi sorry for posting this if its in wrong place i am.new to this site after finding no answers elsewhere for situation....my father died aug 2017 and i am.his legal next of kin and have been sent letter weeka ago re possible undepayment of esa from july 2013 until he passed in aug 2017...ive since called them and then had a call back  to.fill in application...ive also looked through all my dads paperwork and found he was transfered from.incapacity to esa contribution based ...ive found old housing benefit award letters saying he shouldve had 2 premiums on his esa as he had high rate dla but his actual esa award was only for £218 every 2 weeks...no premiums other than the support group addition...what im wondering is my calculations work out that he was underpaid by nearly £70 per week !! And im thinking i must be wrong on tht...as that would mean he was underpaid by around £16.000  ...surely the dwp couldnt have missed that ???? ..i have read on here of peoples own claims for backpayment but none for deceased relatives ...can anyone help please

• poppy123456
    Ciara55 said:
    Hi sorry for posting this if its in wrong place i am.new to this site after finding no answers elsewhere for situation....my father died aug 2017 and i am.his legal next of kin and have been sent letter weeka ago re possible undepayment of esa from july 2013 until he passed in aug 2017...ive since called them and then had a call back  to.fill in application...ive also looked through all my dads paperwork and found he was transfered from.incapacity to esa contribution based ...ive found old housing benefit award letters saying he shouldve had 2 premiums on his esa as he had high rate dla but his actual esa award was only for £218 every 2 weeks...no premiums other than the support group addition...what im wondering is my calculations work out that he was underpaid by nearly £70 per week !! And im thinking i must be wrong on tht...as that would mean he was underpaid by around £16.000  ...surely the dwp couldnt have missed that ???? ..i have read on here of peoples own claims for backpayment but none for deceased relatives ...can anyone help please

Answered here on your other thread https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/64306/esa-underpayment-for-deceased-father#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ciara55
    Hi i was wondering if anyone has more recent timescale on payments once they are in processing department 
  • Robbychris19
    Robbychris19 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I had my esa backdated form sent back as I failed to answer 3 of the questions, I have waited 11 weeks for this to be sorted now I have sent it back after answering all relevant questions will I have to wait another 11 weeks? 
  • Ciara55
    I have just had a call from esa sensitive case team to tell me they have checked all info received and they do not require any further info re my late father and that it is now passed over to the “processing” team i asked how long that takes now and guy said it used to be within 12 weeks but they have now scrapped that and there is no timescale ..could be as little as a week or over 6 months ...i find tht answer appalling but thought id let yous know latest info from them re timescales
  • Robbychris19
    Hi thanks for that info, I’m just hoping I’m not waiting too much longer
  • Ciara55
    Hi thanks for that info, I’m just hoping I’m not waiting too much longer
    Hiya ...another update...dwp just called me again ...just to confirm one of my dads adresses... .lady said she was hoping to complete it all by end of day ....so doesnt look like its going to take long at all ....will keep u updated.. .but phonecall i had to fill in form.on phone was on 25th september so from then until decision maker working on it has been less than a week 
  • Ciara55
    Now telling me it is showing as passed processing and is marked as in checking ?? ..daid it has been passed to "team leader" to be checked anyone heard of this ???
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2019
    hi all   was hoping for some advice   my partner emma like  a lot of stories on here is in same boat , she was transferred from IB to ESA in 2013 but was only paid contributional esa even thoughshe  could not work due to illness and had no savings but after reading the qualifying criteria  she was placed in support group and on dla then pip daily living so was sure she be entitled to both income and contributional  esa and receive some of the income related premiums backdated as seems like its happened to 1000s of other as per thread   but we submitted our forms after the dwp contacted in april and entered the waiting game months went on 12 weeks turned into another 12 weeks then this week we recieved a letter from DWP saying fron 04/13 to 04/14 that emma was not entitled to any income related esa , why just that year?? what bout the next 5 as circumstances change  and the reason they gave aswell is  YOUR ENTITLEMENT TO CONTRIBUTIONAL ESA EXCEEDED YOUR ENTITLEMENT TO INCOME RELATED ESA   , whats does that mean can anyone help as we have no saving and me as partner not worked since 2017 so really confused how i read on website different premiums and health benefits from being on IR but were not getting it and really need it 

also as this letter  just specifies  2013/2014  will there be other letters to come  , the helpline not helpful at all  and feel very upset

any help be appreciated

joe  and emma
    Hi,
    You say it's just the 1 year in the decision letter. When she was first contacted and sent the letter regarding the underpayments it would have stated which years they are going to assess her for, what did it say in that letter?

Whether she would have been entitled to any income related top up during the dates stated in the letter will depend on her circumstances during that time. The Income related top up (premiums) are means tested, so living with a partner that works or claims other benefits theirself, capital/savings and income from pensions etc, all count against being entitled to any means tested benefits. Without more information it's impossible to give any advice. You say you haven't worked since 2017, were you working during 2013/14? if so how many hours per week were you working?

For the years after 2014, again more information is needed. You say you haven't worked since 2017, what benefits have you claimed since then? Are you now claiming ESA as a couple or are you claiming a different benefit, possibly carers allowance and Income Support? Again without more information, it's impossible to help you further.

If you don't want to give more information then you'll need to take all her paper work to an advice agency near you and ask them to check through it. You'll then be able to tell them all your circumstances from 2013 up until the present day.
  • Ciara55
    Hi ive just been told all checks done and a form BR330 has been posted to me can anyone tell.me what this is thanks
  • Robbychris19
    Hi, it’s to claim state pension I believe 
  • jenny_ann
    jenny_ann Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    @Nicnok have you heard anything yet? I’m at 24 weeks now and saw you were ahead of me in time xx
  • suez25
    suez25 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi as next of kin to my deceased brother I received  a letter from the DWP in October asking if he had a partner, which he never, or any savings, which he never. I know he claimed Incapacity and DLA high rate, The years stated was 2011-2013 (March, the day he died) 
    Would he of been entitled to any backdate? And as next of kin would I receive it if he was. 
    I myself have recently started claiming universal credit due to ill health, if a payment was made would this affect my benefits.. 
  • poppy123456
    suez25 said:
    Hi as next of kin to my deceased brother I received  a letter from the DWP in October asking if he had a partner, which he never, or any savings, which he never. I know he claimed Incapacity and DLA high rate, The years stated was 2011-2013 (March, the day he died) 
    Would he of been entitled to any backdate? And as next of kin would I receive it if he was. 
    I myself have recently started claiming universal credit due to ill health, if a payment was made would this affect my benefits.. 
    HI and welcome,

I'm afraid no one on an internet forum can give you a definite answer, whether he was underpaid or not, for this you'll need to wait for DWP to make a decision. Once they've assessed his circumstances during those dates then will write to you with a decision.

If he's owed money as you're his next of kin then yes you will receive it and it will be disregarded from all means tested benefits for 1 year.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer to wait.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.