What are you doing to reduce waste? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are you doing to reduce waste?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

It’s Recycle Week 2019 and with the environmental impact of our lifestyles under the microscope more than ever, we thought we’d ask what you are doing to combat your waste.

Did you know:

79% of all the plastic ever produced is still in the environment

2050 is the estimated date where there will be more plastic than fish in the sea

60% of UK households are now recycling more than a year ago due to environmental concerns

Source: recyclenow

Do you have disability equipment you’d like to recycle?

Freegle and Freecycle groups match people who have things they want to get rid of with people who can use them. Check out your local groups.

Jacob's Well Appeal accepts unwanted ostomy products including pouches and accessories, lotions, powder, sprays, gels and wipes, provided they are unopened.

Disabled Equipment Sent Overseas accepts:

• Crutches

• Walking sticks

• Wheelchairs

• Braille books and magazines

• Sticks for blind people

• Other items for visually impaired people

• Glasses

• Hearing aids

• Tools

What are you doing to reduce waste? Would you buy used disability equipment?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I use a tub to collect water after showering. We turn off lights at night and reuse any empty drink bottles. In terms of heating, I try not to rely on central heating but light a fire for warmth on cold days. Sweet wrappers are thrown into a recycling bin. 

I’ll have to look at that! Didn’t even know you could do that. We have some unused aids lying around, I have been wondering what to do with them. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    eating more food!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I compost vegetable peelings, the inner cardboard of toilet rolls,etc. I also grow herbs, tomatoes, lettuce, spring onions & lots of vegetables....all grown from seed, so no plastic trays, bags, etc. & no air miles! I make different kinds of soup, so no tins or cartons there. I must be food orientated like Pollyanna!!
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    chiarieds said:
    I compost vegetable peelings, the inner cardboard of toilet rolls,etc. I also grow herbs, tomatoes, lettuce, spring onions & lots of vegetables....all grown from seed, so no plastic trays, bags, etc. & no air miles! I make different kinds of soup, so no tins or cartons there. I must be food orientated like Pollyanna!!
    eating more food isnt doing me any good whatsoever! Good for you in your efforts.xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    These look great!
    Scope

Brightness