Best option for new house with carer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Best option for new house with carer

swanmark
swanmark Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi Guys, I will give you some background before I get to my question, my wife and I had 2best friend that we did everything with, unfortunately I lost my wife to cancer a few years ago, and unbelievably within a few weeks our best friends husband passed away. we were very close and after a few years his wife became my carer as I became disabled, and eventually she moved in with me as it was easier. We are not involved as a couple or ever will be, just good friends. The problem is my property has now become to big for us to live in, so we are downsizing, When I sell my property I will be in a position to buy a new property, and as my carer as sold her property she will also be in the same position. So my question is this, what would be the best option for me not to lose my benefits. Should I buy the property and employ my friend as a carer, or should my friend/carer buy the property and charge me rent to stay with her. I am hoping someone has some advice. Thanks 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @swanmark! Personally, I am unsure but I'm sure many of our community members will be along soon to offer their advice. I just wanted to let you know your post hasn't gone ignored and hopefully more members will be along soon!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm afraid it's not that simple. When you sell your property if there's any profit made and you decide not to buy another then if you have any savings of more than £16,000 you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits. If you claim PIP/DLA or attendance allowance then these are not means tested and won't be affected.

The same as your friend, if they end up with savings of more than £16,000 all means tested benefits will stop. If your friend already claims means tested benefits and has sold their house, if there's any savings they will need to report those changes.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • swanmark
    My friend doesn’t claim anything apart from state pension
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Quite a tricky one this.

It is good that you have a close friend to care for you
    But, now this might hurt a tad...but what if you two fell out over a disagreement of some kind?

I know, I know...you can`t ever see that happening...but you never know.

so when buying a new property....you need to be clear on who owns what..to safeguard the future for either of you.

Sorry, I know this wasnt your question...but it is something to think about. I apologise if I have offended you at all.

Anyway, back to your question re benefits...Poppy`s answer is right and says it all.
    Lots of thinking to do....
    Best wishes xxxx
  • poppy123456
    swanmark said:
    My friend doesn’t claim anything apart from state pension
    What about pension credit?

Do you claim any benefits yourself? if so which ones do you claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • swanmark
    I get esa support section severe disability, extra money because of support group and disability income guarantee 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2019
    Severe disability premium and the disability income guarantee are all income related and means tested so any savings will affect this.

Severe disability premium is only paid if you live alone or classed as living alone. Does the person living with you claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance?

If not when she moved in with you did you report those changes to DWP?

• Deser
    Deser Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited November 2021
    A few years ago, according to the law, guardians were always obliged to take care of the safety of the ward's property. And moreover, you have real estate, the guardian can make transactions with the permission of the authorities. Well, it is forbidden to sell your property without consent. I say a few years ago because two of my friends had this situation and so I know a little bit about it. They had a similar situation with the reduction of real estate, the three-storey house was very big for the two of them. I remember helping them find a company online to get advice. I can leave you a link [removed by moderator - advertising] Good luck to you.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi @Deser,

Welcome to the community :) Just to let you know, I've removed the link from your comment. This is because it appeared to be advertising a paid service. We don't allow advertising on the community, as is outlined in our house rules.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness