Pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal

Options
jonno1971
jonno1971 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi i just been diagnosed with CIDP  yet was refused my pip as they saw no evidence..any advice out there???

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, what symptoms does CIPD cause you? Do you need any help with personal care or mobility? These are the things DWP are interested in for PIP...also any equipment you need. Did you try the PIP self test scorer?

I`m afraid they dont take much notice of a diagnoses, only how it effects you
  • jonno1971
    Options
    Hi yeah it effects my grip strength and walking.. I had no evidence but consultant now given it me
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you still in the time frame for a Mandatory Reconsideration on your PIP claim? ie 1 month
  • jonno1971
    Options
    Yes I am. I really think I maybe did it premature as originally doctors thought I had ALS now been diagnosed CIDP and have anlot of documentation which I did not before.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @poppy123456 I wonder if you could advise here, please. I hope you don't mind me asking.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Thank you @chiarieds i'm sorry for the late response but i've only just seen this.

@jonno1971 It doesn't matter whether you applied before you had the correct diagnosis because PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR which you should put in writing. You should state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why, adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You should send relevant evidence with the letter to support your claim. A letter stating a diagnosis, isn't going to help you. You'll need other evidence that states how your conditions affect your functional ability.

Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors will always help. It's very easy to think you should score a certain amount of points but it's not always possible to score as many as you think.

You can have a disability but not be awarded PIP because if you don't fit the descriptors you won't score those points for an award. I'd advise you to have a read of this link because it will give you more understanding.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. Waiting times for hearings are huge across most of the country and you could be waiting a year from the time they accept your appeal at Tribunal.

I'd advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you and this link will tell you what's local to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jonno1971
    Options
    Thankyou for your help
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jonno1971 So pleased that poppy replied as she knows so much about benefits.

The only thing I would add is that you need to be able to do any of the PIP descriptors 'reliably.' This means safely, timely, so if the task described takes at least twice as long as someone who has no difficulties, this should be mentioned, or the activity causes you pain either during or after any activity, this too should be mentioned.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.