Disability Life Hacks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Life Hacks

Options
Vixster89
Vixster89 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Living with chronic pain and disability, I've learnt some things that make doing everyday tasks a little easier and I thought it would be good to have a place where we can all share our "hacks." 

Some of my faves and most simple ones are:

* Using pump bottles for shampoo, conditioner, body wash and hand soap. No more squeezing bottles or tubes.
* Touch lamps by my bed.
* Dry shampoo - washing my hair everyday just isn't going to happen!
* Breville One Cup kettle. No more risking a scolding by lifting up a heavy kettle. 
* Chilly's bottle. It keeps cold drinks cold for 24 hours and hot drinks hot for 12 hours so no need to keep getting fresh drinks.

There are more but I can think of them right now.

Please add yours below!

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, some really interesting tips there!
    The pump bottles is a great idea. I struggle with squeeze type bottles....never thought of that....and such a simple thing...hope I can find my shampoo/conditioner in pump.....do you find them easily in shops?
    Thankyou x
  • Vixster89
    Vixster89 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    Hey @pollyanna1052

Yeah, I get them on eBay but I always just buy pump soap as it is. Or you could rinse out a used hand wash pump bottle and fill it with shampoo. Makes life so much easier! Let me know if it helps you!x
  • RiyadBrown
    RiyadBrown Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Helpful stuff! 
    Especially, Touch lamps by my bed is a good idea. 

I am going to bookmark this thread for quick access. 

Thanks and keep up the good work! 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bookmarking this for the future. 

You can buy and sell disability aids online or in person. That is my top tip. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @Vixster89

Since my son was born, I have kept a pen on my kitchen table. I have kept his confidential medical records in a locked cabinet. I also have maintained a diary of his progress and my feelings too. 

My life hacks:

I made a list of sites and resources on disability. I take printouts or summaries of test results to all his appointments. When Logan was having treatment for his bilateral clubbed feet, I took weekly photos. I used to take a book to read before each hospital appointment as we waited too. On surgery days, I always took a small bag with items that were required for a hospital stay. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Brilliant ideas guys.

Really like the Chilly's bottles suggestion, @Vixster89. Thanks! :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness