Universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit

19681989 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
Hi does anyone understand the rules for universal credit housing costs. 
Situation, full time carer for adult son highest rates Dla, esa.
We want to move into a private rental, how do the UC work it out for 
Joint tenants?
worried about the changeover ?
Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It will be based on your local housing allowance for your area and the amount of bedrooms you're entitled to.

Are you both going to be joint tenants? Or it is yourself and someone else, with your son living with you?

If it's a joint tenancy with your son then it will be 1 bedroom rate for each.

If it's joint with a partner and your son living with you, with you claiming the housing element then it will be 2 bedroom rate. Check the rates for the area here. http://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    Hi thanks poppy. 
    It's myself plus an overnight carer. 
    Both joint tenants.
    My son would be entitled too 2 bed rate.
    I would be entitled to one bed rate unless they give me Shared accommodation rate. I wanted to avoid claiming UC but if we move to the next town its a change of council unfortunately. 
    I just wondered if anyone knew how UC proportionate rent liability. 

• poppy123456
    Shared rate only applies to those under the age of 35. How often is the overnight carer needed?

Yes, a different local council would mean a claim for UC for both. If your son doesn't already claim housing benefit, he would need to claim UC where ever you move to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hello @19681989. I'm glad Poppy has been able to help you with this. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
    Hi we have funding for once a week for overnight carer. 
    Rental of new property isc£660pcm
    The local housing rate
      is 2 bed £410pcm,
    plus 1 bed rate £350pcm.
    Max total £760
    However the total LHA pcm for 3 bed in my area for a 3 bed is £460 pcm, 
    How do the UC proportionate this? 

Thank you poppy., Adrian. 
  • poppy123456
    I would advise you to get some face to face advice because it's possible he may not be able to claim for an extra bedroom for a carer for just 1 night a week.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @19681989. With two people on the tenancy they will usually half the rent. So in the eyes of UC you'd be responsible for £330 and your son the other £330. As this is below the 1 bed rate for each of you, you should both receive £330 towards your rent element from Universal Credit.

Even though your son is entitled to 2 bed (which he'd have to request again under UC) it would make no difference as they'd still see his rent contribution as only £330.
    Community Manager
    Scope
    Thank you for your email. It was, as I thought 50%.pleasantly surprised that all of the rent will be covered. 

Thanks again. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.