Moving out on PiP and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving out on PiP and ESA

Ross121
Ross121 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hey all,
I'm new here and need some help/advice with trying to move out. Me and my partner are trying to move out but I'm unemployed and on PiP, employment and support allowance. 
She works and has an income of around £1300 a month.
So with all that said if we do move out would I lose any of my money? 

Thank you for reading and any assistance you may have.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP won't be affected because it's not means tested.

Are you living together at the moment? If so then i'm assuming you're claiming Contributions based ESA or New style ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross121
    No she has just brought her first house and we plan to live together but because I'm on ESA I can't join her at the moment but I'm thinking about doing permitted work would this change any of my benefits? 
  • poppy123456
    If you're claiming Contributions based ESA or New style ESA then you will continue to claim this when you live together because your partners income won't affect it.

If you're claiming Income Related ESA then if your partner works more than 24 hours per week then your ESA will stop because your partners income will be too high to claim it. You need to check which ESA you're claiming if you don't already know.

Whether or not you'll be entitled to Universal credit will depend on circumstances and you should speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.

PIP isn't affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ross121
    How can I check which one I’m on?
  • poppy123456
    Check a recent award letter which tells you the breakdown of what exactly you're claiming. Or ring ESA and ask.

Did you work and pay enough NI contributions before your ESA claim started?
  • Ross121
    I've been claiming this since I was 18 due to my disability and never worked my adult life.

Does this help?
  • poppy123456
    Yes, thanks. This means that you'll be claiming Income Related ESA and if you move in with your partner that works then you won't be entitled to any ESA and it will stop. You'll continue to receive your NI credits towards your state pension but no money will be received.

Whether you'll be entitled to UC will depend on circumstances but this is means tested and you'll need to claim as a couple. I'd advice a visit to a local advice agency for that benefit check. Or put both of your details into a benefits calculator.
  • Ross121
    Thank you for the help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.