Declined for PIP. What do I need to do to be reconsidered? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Declined for PIP. What do I need to do to be reconsidered?

naz786
naz786 Community member Posts: 62 Connected
Wat do I need to do to be reconsidered 

Comments

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    We need to have all disabilities fully recognised and understood, by all so called medical professions, support organisations, and especially politicians who create the legal framework of our society. 
    Currently our system is more about making money, any way possible, and avoiding the provision of what some consider expensive support for those who are different and have various types of disability, to enable them to contribute to our communities. 
    I hope that you will find the support and understanding you need
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @naz786, have you received your PIP decision letter?

You have a month from this date to put in a Mandatory Reconsideration which is a first stage appeal. The purpose of this is about showing how you do meet the PIP criteria, and this is done by showing 2-3 real life examples.

Here is some information about the MR process. 

If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to be in touch. :) 
    Scope

• naz786
    I just can't believe they declined me and my decision letter was disgusting not even 1 point all zero assessment lady im disgusted with
  • naz786
    I've spoke to my doctor about this he's going to write a strong letter to them to reconsider 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @naz786 I think many here have found their PIP decision letters pretty bad, but please do look at the great advice given here & the resources that Chloe & Poppy have both mentioned.

You have a right to appeal as you felt the decision unfair & it's good to read you have a supportive Dr.

I don't know how your disability affects you, nor obviously did the DWP Decision Maker, so now is the time to write exactly how it does for any of the 'descriptors,' such as dressing, washing & bathing, preparing a simple meal, communicating, etc. for the daily living component, & if you can't walk very far with or without an aid, or if you suffer 'overwhelming psychological distress' due to mental health issues or cognitive impairment for the mobility part.

You also need to mention if you can't do anything 'reliably,' i.e. if it's not safe to do so; causes you pain during/after an activity; or you're very slow at achieving an activity (such that it takes you more than twice as long as someone without your problems would face).

Altho' many don't have their decision overturned with this Mandatory Reconsideration (MR), many do receive a more favourable decision at a Tribunal. On a personal note, I did receive the award I felt correct with my MR.

If you have any further questions, please do ask. I wish you all the best!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

May i ask if you have any other evidence other than the letter from your GP? Letters from GPs aren't the best evidence to support a claim because they very rarely know how our conditions affect us against the PIP descriptors. They will only ever know the basics, like what medication you take, the appointments you've had and a diagnosis, which doesn't really help.

It may help to get some face to face help and support from an agency near you like Welfare Rights. Put your postcode into this link and it will tell you what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @naz786, how are you doing?

The above advice is very comprehensive and I hope it has helped. If you have any further questions then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• herroabii
    herroabii Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    naz786 said:
    I just can't believe they declined me and my decision letter was disgusting not even 1 point all zero assessment lady im disgusted with
    I scored Zero first time I claimed when pip was a new benefit then I scored enhanced daily living and standard mobility and have had this since PIP was introduced. I got a MR pretty fast so just send in all your evidence. After I sent more evidence in it was overturned just off the paper I'd sent it so it happens☺️ 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thanks for sharing this @herroabii!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.